• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Escape and capture

tapkoote

3 Year Member
About two weeks ago I forgot to replace the cork in "Torts" lid after feeding. Around an hour later I sat down to watch the news, see him standing on the water dish with 4 legs sticking out of the hole. I thumped the glass and he took off into his hide.
Up till now, I never gave spiders any credit for learning, except what nature put in front of them hour by hour. Day light, dark, food, water - whether to dig or not.
Day before last I'm watching the tube and notice the cork laying on the floor..... tanks empty.
I did a cursory search with a flash light, but figured it impossible with all the hiding places in this house.
Hoped he'd show up in the bath room for water at some point, maybe climb a wall to get warm air next to the ceiling.
I went to start a fire this morning, moved the canvas I carry wood in, and proceeded to pick wood for the fire out of the box. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something wasn't right, had to look again. He was sitting on a radio, which was covered by the canvas. You'd think being uncovered would have startled him, even me moving back and forth pulling wood out of the box. Did a double take, couldn't believe my eyes, it must be a dream;)
Easily got him in a cup and back on top of his housing unit. There's only one way out, back through the hole he escaped. IMG_1607.JPGIMG_1608.JPGIMG_2445.JPG

Soulman

About two weeks ago I forgot to replace the cork in "Torts" lid after feeding. Around an hour later I sat down to watch the news, see him standing on the water dish with 4 legs sticking out of the hole. I thumped the glass and he took off into his hide.
Up till now, I never gave spiders any credit for learning, except what nature put in front of them hour by hour. Day light, dark, food, water - whether to dig or not.
Day before last I'm watching the tube and notice the cork laying on the floor..... tanks empty.
I did a cursory search with a flash light, but figured it impossible with all the hiding places in this house.
Hoped he'd show up in the bath room for water at some point, maybe climb a wall to get warm air next to the ceiling.
I went to start a fire this morning, moved the canvas I carry wood in, and proceeded to pick wood for the fire out of the box. Out of the corner of my eye I saw something wasn't right, had to look again. He was sitting on a radio, which was covered by the canvas. You'd think being uncovered would have startled him, even me moving back and forth pulling wood out of the box. Did a double take, couldn't believe my eyes, it must be a dream;)
Easily got him in a cup and back on top of his housing unit. There's only one way out, back through the hole he escaped.View attachment 44456View attachment 44457View attachment 44458
we had a lot of jumping baby's out.that was fun,lucky they stayed on the shelf units.still finding some two days later.

Latest posts