• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ephobopus murinus EMERGENCY

StickyStein

3 Year Member
269b3d35-84be-43ed-a9a2-e0d7da029f6d-jpeg.270252
26b48c24-b153-47d7-9489-52bedf69e681-jpeg.270253
ced2e4e6-0765-49d3-9ec9-2ea902bb2a99-jpeg.270254
36e24b1e-4b8b-4a27-b038-60ea61c1f169-jpeg.270255
So I’m not gonna name the vendor just yet but I purchased a breeding pair of ephobopus murinus. Now they couldn’t guarantee sex even though that is part of the problem. Anyways I have 2 skeletons about 4 inches. Neither show tibial hooks or boxing gloves but I sexed underneath and they seem to be different genders. But the problem is that neither burrowed. I have 1 in a medium KK with 5 inches coco sub and the other in a 10 gallon with 1 side having 5 inches coco sub. Both are kept damp. But neither burrow and 1 seemsto be dying. I put the deathly suspect female in ER. And the suspect male (who I thought was female cuz the abdomen is MUCH BIGGER and is in the 10gallon). I will transfer later tonight. Both ate the day I got them but the suspectmale in the 10 gallon has ate 3 more times while the deathly female(in the medium KK) only ate the once. So I’ve never had a WC but I feel that is thecase. I repeat though, NEITHER HAVE BURROWED! What do I do and what may be the cause of weirdness? I’ve had them for over 3 weeks now. I will add pictures and hopefully you can see how deathly and oddly shaped her abdomen is. PLEASE HELP!! The deathly female are the pics of T in water dish and in the open in a death looking curl. Male is in the trees

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For some reason I can't see your photos.
Could it be that it is just stress causing the female to look as though it's dying? It can take older Ts longer to settle into new homes so it may have been better to leave them both a bit longer to settle.

StickyStein

3 Year Member
Idk why you can’t see the pics. They are showing on my thread. But idk if that’s the problem cuz she seems to get worst. She just doesn’t show much life. And if she was uncomfortable would she be more likely to strike? As I was moving her to ER she seemed limp at times

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Can you try posting pics using the Upload A File button?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Im just gonna list all the things I see wrong...dont take it in a bad way but theres a bunch. Im only trying to help. Here we go....Always Reseach the species your gonna raise it goes along ways. They're not a breeding pair if they can't guarantee sex... plus the abdomen size isnt a way to determine sex. That's clearly not enough substrate for this species and it's not damp enough. The water dish is also way too small for a species that requires more humidity. I always start a hole in the corner of the enclosure so they can start to dig. You need a real 5-6" of substrate at least...id personally use around 8". It has to be moist...not dry like your photos suggest. Plants are a waste of time and space...their a burrowing species add more substrate instead. That 10 gallon tank should be half full of substrate and the kritter keeper isn't the right type of enclosure at all. Use a plastic storage bin...they work great. Just pop some cross ventilation holes in it. $10.00 at Wal-Mart for a clear one with a lid.

StickyStein

3 Year Member
The kk vents are blocked but I do need to make that better. I will transfer into a plastic container tonight. I’ll take out the decorations plants. I gave both starter burrows and the 10 gallon has a large dish in it and I haven’t had to add water in over a week but I will add more sub. And I didn’t purchase as a breeding pair. I bought them as just male and female with no guarantee of sex. But they do seem diff sex based on ventral sexing. I thought i was doing it right with the 5-6 in sub and I moistened the sub well before. The 10 gal is plenty moist with half the cage with enough substrate. Neither have even tried digging into my starter burrows. I will bump sub up to 8 inches. I did my research and tried to do things right but I need to tweak things. I added the plants so my gf would be more happy. I didn’t think it would stress them out. I figured it was ok cuz they are tropical. This is my first high humidity species. The 10 gallon has plenty humid but still hasn’t dug. Has moved around the enclosure a lot though

Latest posts