• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure??

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Heyy, just wanna ask something. Is this enclosure too small or just about the right size? It's for a 2.5 inch B. Vagans. And should I have a water dish for it??

Attachments

• vagans.jpg
    vagans.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 15

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What size is the enclosure? If it's one of the small critter keepers, it should be fine. I'd definitely include a water dish for a spider that size (usually a milk jug cap).

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with @Tomoran if it's the small keeper its fine for a 2". The medium is a bit big I think until they're 3 or 4"

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ahhh...a mini. I agree with @kormath that it would be a bit too cramped for my tastes. I bought a few of those mini KKs a couple years ago and never used them. By the time the Ts were large enough that they couldn't squeeze out the vents, they were a bit too big for the enclosure if I wanted to include a hide and a water dish.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahhh...a mini. I agree with @kormath that it would be a bit too cramped for my tastes. I bought a few of those mini KKs a couple years ago and never used them. By the time the Ts were large enough that they couldn't squeeze out the vents, they were a bit too big for the enclosure if I wanted to include a hide and a water dish.
I don't start them in the kk's until they're 3/4 or 1" then I use the mini. At 1.5-3" I use the small. I'm estimating the 3" mark. I don't have a T that size yet so I'll have to see

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't start them in the kk's until they're 3/4 or 1" then I use the mini. At 1.5-3" I use the small. I'm estimating the 3" mark. I don't have a T that size yet so I'll have to see

After watching a 1.25" sling start to slip out one of the vents in the mini I attempted to use, Maybe the ones I had just had extra large vents. I packed those away after rehousing the spider into something more secure, and never attempted to use them again. I've used the small KKs, but only after the spider hits about 2" to avoid potential escapes.

PokemonLover

3 Year Member
Okay Thanks for all the replies dudes, very much appreciated. I'll find a small critter keeper for the new enclosure. Im sure that's enough for a 2.5 inch - 3 inch vagans..

And this is me facing my fear. hehe

Attachments

• handling vagans.jpg
    handling vagans.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 12

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The vents on the ones I have are 2mm wide. The GBB was moved into it after his 1" molt. He'd have to pancake his abdomen to get through those.

Even Koby at 1/2" couldn't escape through the vents. He did find the handle hole and get free for a couple hours though. So never take the handles off. He was in the mini for about a week until we got a more appropriate sized enclosure for him. The mini was to big.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay Thanks for all the replies dudes, very much appreciated. I'll find a small critter keeper for the new enclosure. Im sure that's enough for a 2.5 inch - 3 inch vagans..

And this is me facing my fear. hehe
I've held the GBB. But not any others. I won't hold the genic. The rest are just too small

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It was a 1.25" GBB that almost escaped mine. All they have to do is fit their carapace through. I have a photo of it it half out on an old phone; I'll try to find it. After seeing that, I definitely wouldn't chance it with any other spider that size. I was warned before I tried using them that this could happen, and I didn't listen. After seeing that, my lesson was learned. :) They just worry me (and it was a pain getting that sling out of the crack!).

Edit: I realize that I did use one after that. When my 2.5" A. insubtilis juvenile was showing "DKS" symptoms, I put him into one for a smaller, moister environment.

Last edited:

Latest posts