• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure questions

DrearyFate

3 Year Member
I have my G. pulchra in a spiderling enclosure at the moment (in picture) and i also have a juvenile enclosure for when she gets bigger, now i understand this will take a while for her to be put into the bigger one, but at the same time ive decorated it and put down substrate and moss aswell. The question i have is will this stuff get "old" just sitting waiting for her? if so i will clean it out and leave it empty
20161103_230943.jpg
20161103_230842.jpg
20161103_230943.jpg
20161103_230842.jpg

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I often set up enclosures for Ts I have coming in only to discover that they are not the size I want or need. I just put them away in a corner until I have something that will fit in them.

And, I have to agree with @Bugmom ... you might just have to get another to fill it. :)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Lol nice answers.
I just wouldn't keep the unoccupied enclosure soggy especially with the moss in it. That's just in case it's not properly vented. U don't want yucky stuff growing all over ur new enclosure

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Also, I don't see any vent holes in that slings enclosure, so if there aren't any, take the lid off the slings AMAC box, and melt some vent holes around the top sides of it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'd empty it. It's easier to remoisten the substrate in a bowl, then repack it in the enclosure, and slings that size do well with moist substrate to burrow in.

DrearyFate

3 Year Member
Also, I don't see any vent holes in that slings enclosure, so if there aren't any, take the lid off the slings AMAC box, and melt some vent holes around the top sides of it.
Oh no theres a big vent hole up top haha, i noticed i took the picture with the lid off so it does appear that its solid

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
MassE- I didn't know that. Do you keep P. 'Green'?
I have a 6" sub adult female and three slings :) I love Phormictopus. They're very tough, active and gorgeous. From what I've seen so far, their angry reputation is undeserved. Not that it would bother me. I also have 2 atrichomatus slings, and I'm going to grab a as many other species as possible.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations! Fantastic choice (although you may be the first person to ever use the words "Haitian brown" and "sweet" in the same sentence!). :) I'm with @MassExodus on this one; Phormictopus is my favorite terrestrial genus. I, too, have seen little of their infamous attitude with any of the seven species I keep. Mine range between skittish and pretty chill overall. They are fantastic eaters with one of the best feeding responses I've ever seen, so I'd just be really careful when sticking your hand in there. I've had one leap at me from across the enclosure when it mistook me for food.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congratulations! Fantastic choice (although you may be the first person to ever use the words "Haitian brown" and "sweet" in the same sentence!). :) I'm with @MassExodus on this one; Phormictopus is my favorite terrestrial genus. I, too, have seen little of their infamous attitude with any of the seven species I keep. Mine range between skittish and pretty chill overall. They are fantastic eaters with one of the best feeding responses I've ever seen, so I'd just be really careful when sticking your hand in there. I've had one leap at me from across the enclosure when it mistook me for food.
Agreed, they eat like the giants. I've seen your vids of the purples, needless to say I'll be picking a few up :) I also like the fact that you can get a cancerides female, wc of course, pretty cheap. The males can be stunning in this genus, just like Pamphobeteus :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Agreed, they eat like the giants. I've seen your vids of the purples, needless to say I'll be picking a few up :) I also like the fact that you can get a cancerides female, wc of course, pretty cheap. The males can be stunning in this genus, just like Pamphobeteus :)

Which reminds me...I have to get video of my purple female. She starting to show some sweet color. I'm glad to see that these are becoming more popular in the hobby. Used to be no one wanted them because they thought they were just boring big brown spiders! And the males are definitely gorgeous. One of the few instances where you don't mind getting a male. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Which reminds me...I have to get video of my purple female. She starting to show some sweet color. I'm glad to see that these are becoming more popular in the hobby. Used to be no one wanted them because they thought they were just boring big brown spiders! And the males are definitely gorgeous. One of the few instances where you don't mind getting a male. :)
Yeah its one of the reasons I like Phormictopus, Pamphobeteus, Xenesthis, etc. Most of the females in the giant genera are brown though. It bothers me not at all. Brown is beautiful, and color isnt everything. If I had to choose between my gbb, versicolor and female stirmi..guess what? There would be some pretty colorful spiders being sold..:D

DrearyFate

3 Year Member
UPDATE
Lucie (the "sweet" haitan brown) has spawned her attitude like everyone warned me about, shes still beautiful as ever and even though her more defensive side has came through i still love her just as much! Attachment to a picture of her now
received_1245228675542057.jpeg

Latest posts