• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for new keeper :O

Amony

3 Year Member
I know this must be asked a lot but i looked over a few pages of posts to see if i could find something that meets my needs and decided it would be better just to ask and give some details.

I'm looking to get a chile rose as my first tarantula I've looked at care sheets and i am confident ill be able to look after it fully, I've got a little tortoise so i am aware of things like pet bills and such for pets as lovely as these :D

Now i know that id want a enclosure with a lot of floor space my question is can anyone recommend a decent starter set up? I've been on a lot of sites looking for an idea of what to get but the best advice i got when doing the same thing from my tort was from forums hence the post here. I also don't mind buying everything bit by bit instead of a full package. Want the little guy/girl to be happy :D

Also from a new keeper point of view would i better better with a juvenile or a sub-adult? Opinion seems spread of this question.

Thanks in advance :O

Poec54

3 Year Member
Screen lids let out too much humidity, and expose the spider to hot/cold drafts, fumes, sprays, etc. Terrestrial tarantulas are also known to easily chew thru screen, both fiberglass and aluminum.

I'd get a juvenile or adult female (learn how to recognize an adult male). If you get a subadult and it's a male, you won't have it long term.

Amony

3 Year Member
Aha. That's something I've yet to read about.. Would be horrible if the little thing got out and lost. Could u recommend a tank?

So I've got an idea of what to look for when searching

NYX

3 Year Member
I use sterilite tote/ bins for most of my T's. I feel like you can get enclosure closer to the needs of terrestrial sp. that way. I drill holes along the sides to get cross ventilation, then decorate! This is my set up for my Gramostola rosea/porteri.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 46
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 46

Amony

3 Year Member
Ah thats epic, my sisters just came round to the idea i think she would die if it got out xD
My last question is about where to get the tarantula, should i order it online, look for a breeder or go to a pet store
The reason i ask is because i got my tort from a pet store and the poor thing had a very poor start

The vet had to take him in the week i took him from the pet store becuase he had a grand amount of parasites and refused to eat solid foods, they where feeding him pellets. Was touch and go for a while and i dont want that for another one of my pets

Last edited:

Poec54

3 Year Member
Pet stores have an very limited selection. What they do carry tends to be adults. You get far more to choose from with a dealer/breeder, but the vast majority of those are spiderlings, which means small and more delicate (than adults). You can also check the classified section of this site and other tarantula forums, or go to a local reptile show. You can also get a sexed juvenile, and bypass the sling stage, and the uncertainty of it's sex.

Get a list of good beginner species (calm NW terrestrials) and look around at pricing for good deals.

pokie99

3 Year Member
One thing about pet stores: if you're lucky enough, you may make a good deal. Most pet stores have no idea what they're selling so you may find something on a much lower cost than from a dealer. That's how I got my sub - adult female G. pulchra for about $25. They had no idea of the species, gender and the difference between male and female. Probably someone who didn't want a tarantula anymore gave it to them. The bad thing was that it had a small wound on its abdomen but it molted successfully and now everything's ok. The thing you've got to watch out in the pet stores is the health, age of the T and the fact that it may be WC. You need to be experienced enough to know what you are looking for (but you can't know if it's WC).
P.S. G. pulchras are more expensive now because their export from Brazil has been banned and the hobby now relies only on the captive population.

Latest posts