• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Enclosure for 1/4" B. albopilosum.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I have been stressing out a bit over how to house my wee B. albopilosum because I have never had anyone that small before. I was also hoping to put together the same for my 1/2" E. campestratus.
I rigged this up from items I have around already and would like some feedback please. The substrate is just store bought soil designed for reptiles, not plants. It is a Mason jar with nylon stocking replacing the center bit in the lid. You can use a different number of layers of nylon stocking to increase or decrease airflow. That is a paper straw, cut in half, down the side. I know that they probably won't use it to burrow, but I thought I would give it a try anyway because it would make them much easier to see.
I still need to find something to put inside to store water in. Unless I can get away with damp sphagnum moss?
The others are between 1" and 2", so this will be a bit small for them. I will keep them in the plastic deli cups instead.
Please let me know what you think!

Attachments

• _DSC6931-2.jpg
    _DSC6931-2.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i like it. The only thing i would change is with no cross ventilation make sure the top has plenty of air flow to prevent any mold in the moist soil. Also remove the paper straw. It will absorb the moisture in the soil and become worthless once soggy. Your B. albo will burrow, they LOVE to burrow, at that size, so you'll want the soil moist enough it will hold shape. And you won't see them much unless they burrow down against the glass.

They'll start showing their curly hairs at 1-1.5 inches leg span and spend more time out of their burrows at that size also, or mine have anyway ;)

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I put them together early, so I can gauge how long it takes to dry out and adjust the airflow from there. I also left the straw in there in order to see how long it takes for it to get soggy. I have a month of testing... hopefully I can get it right by then.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I put them together early, so I can gauge how long it takes to dry out and adjust the airflow from there. I also left the straw in there in order to see how long it takes for it to get soggy. I have a month of testing... hopefully I can get it right by then.
i just use a pencil or the end of a makeup brush and poke a hole in the substrate for a starter burrow. sometimes they use it. sometimes they dig their own and bury the starter i made for them ;)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In my experience B. albos have never needed a burrow starting. the tiny ones love to dig. I kept my 3 on dry substrate and just trickled a small amount of water on the side of the container every couple of days.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In my experience B. albos have never needed a burrow starting. the tiny ones love to dig. I kept my 3 on dry substrate and just trickled a small amount of water on the side of the container every couple of days.
Yep my 2 are digging fiends. But I've found if I use a starter burrow in the corner I'll have a chance to see them. When I just let them burrow wherever I'd never see them. They're lazy like us ;) give them a start and most will use it.

VanessaS

3 Year Member

I am really nervous about how small this one is going to be - I keep looking at my ruler. The E. campestratus too. I have never had spiderlings and I want to make sure that nothing goes wrong. I'm not so nervous about the 1" and 2" spiders, but anything less than that is freaking me out. I know it might sound silly, but they're just babies. Once I get the hang of it, I will stop complaining.
I am also nervous about feeding them too soon after they moult. I remember people having problems because their fangs were still soft and they got damaged and the spider starved to death. What happens if I don't see that they have moulted and I put food inside? I always waited a week for my grown spiders - how long does it have to be with spiders this small?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A week is fine. My 1/4" slings would have black fangs in about 3 days. I only have 2 of the 1/4" ones left. My G pulchripes and my A seemanni. Hoping they molt soon as they have both quit eating.

First sling I got at that size I was the same way. But now I love watching them grow from the tiny lil guys to juvies getting their adult colors.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got some covered condient cups for my smallest slings, easy to see them and keep track of what they are doing.
also, I keep a colony of mealworms going for the babies and pre kill a freshly molted small one or cut up a fresh molt one for them,
they are super soft right after molt, so easy for them to eat.
The slings harden up really quickly at that size, at least from what Ive seen, wont hurt them to wait a few days though if your worried..
I was honestly frightened when I got my tiny ones, but they aren't really any harder then the bigger ones, just keep them slightly moist and
just use smaller food :p

Latest posts