• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency, stinging hairs on kitty!

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
I am so mad at myself! I messed up bad. I have been so distracted as my Grandfather is dying right now, and I have been a complete wreck over it. I must not have put the lid back on Blanche's tank correctly, and she decided to come out for a stroll. The problem is one of my kitties saw her before I did, and when he stuck his face up to her, she let loose with a bunch of hairs! My first reaction was just to grab the kitty and get him into the other room, which I did, hugging him to my body like I dummy. Now I have hairs all over my chest, arms, neck, and even my face. I'm not worried at all about me, though. I'm worried about my kitty. He is acting just fine, and I think his fur stopped most of the hairs from getting to his skin, but now I'm not sure what I should do. If my kids try to touch him, they will probably get covered with hairs like me, and what about when he tries to groom himself? I feel so incredibly stupid and irresponsible. I managed to get Blanche into a little box, and I just put the whole box in her tank for now to try to make it less stressful for her. Is there anything I can do for my poor kitty? Would bathing him just make it worse? Is there a way to get the hairs out of his fur so he won't lick them out? I'm so freaked out! Blanche is a rosehair tarantula, and this is the first time she's thrown hairs since being in my care. If anyone has advice or suggestions, I'd be very grateful. I have no idea what to do now. :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like you're in for some fun times. :) You'll need to change and wash well to remove hairs from yourself, then give the kitten a bath to remove hairs from it. After that i'd change and wash up again to remove any hairs that may have transferred to you while you bathed the kitten.

Sorry to hear about your grandpa :(

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Okay. Thank you so much for your help. At least I know what to do now. I really do feel just awful. A little laundry and bathing is the least of my worries. I will get busy, and I sure won't make such a stupid mistake again! My poor kitty and tarantula!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
While you're bathing Kitty run a comb or brush through its fur.

ArvadaLanee

3 Year Member
Too late. I washed him as well as I could, rinsed him with cups of water, and used a soft cloth to run over him, and wash his face. I had to keep rinsing and rinsing. My poor baby! Even though he was scared as hell, he was still being careful not to scratch me on accident. Washing him made my arms and hands really sting. :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you have hairs still sticking in you, try using sticky tape or wax to remove them

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Be careful not to rub them into your eyes or get them up your nostrils :(

Telson

3 Year Member
I was going to say..dont use water for urticating hairs..blow dryer for yourself, brush for the kitty..too late though. Either way you'll both be fine, kittys hair is a natural defense. Adding water does not help though, in my experience. Just like with fiberglass. Must be fun trying to bathe a cat...lol