• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Emergency identification needed!

Crecious

3 Year Member
So I just checked on my dying T.
A C. Fasciatum and he's still alive. And I also noticed he's not got the little boxing gloves, the ones he has, or rather one, is small, and I don't see a fully developed hook at the end!
But he's going into a curl!

I know all species won't look like this, but my little boy has nothing like this.
Bulbs01.jpg

I feel bad because I flipped him over, to look at his little gloves. His are very small, could he be molting? D: I don't know what to do!

Any ideas?

Here are some pics! I put some water in, hoping maybe he's just dehydrated.

Attachments

• IMG_1892.JPG
    IMG_1892.JPG
    485.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1895.JPG
    IMG_1895.JPG
    449.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1896.JPG
    IMG_1896.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1898.JPG
    IMG_1898.JPG
    264.2 KB · Views: 21

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Unfortunately, your guy looks like he's on his way out. :( When was the last time he molted? Your boy looks to be a mature male. Males don't live as long as their female counterparts. After they have their final molt, they sport the male sex organs, emboli, at the end of their pedipalps. That's what keepers refer to as "boxing gloves". At this point, the male's sole purpose is to find a female to breed and pass along his DNA. He will not molt again after this, and if he doesn't get munched by the female during mating, he will waste away and die. Your guy has just reached the end of his life cycle. :(

Crecious

3 Year Member
He's a lot better, he was apparently just dehydrated.
I don't know why, but he was not responding well. Now that he's gotten some water in him. He's moving around much better.

I realized his Pedipalps weren't big enough. So he's not even matured. I called my friend up who's far more knowledgeable that I will probably ever be. He suggested giving him some towels of dampened napkins.
I also fed him some water with a syringe.

Today he freaked out when a kid came close, and also seemed interested in a grasshopper.

So thankfully, for now. He's alright!

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Glad that turned out well for you. Why was he dehydrated in the first place?

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's fantastic that he came around. I should have asked about a water dish, but after seeing the emboli, I assumed it was mature male on its way out. Did he not have access to water?

If your T has the emboli at the end of it's pedipalps, he's mature. It's not a bigger or smaller thing. The hooks, for species that have them, are not at the end of the pedipalps; they are on the first set of walking legs. Some species don't get these hooks, which is why it's not a surefire way to identify a male.

Again, glad to hear the little guy still has some life in him!

Crecious

3 Year Member
Glad that turned out well for you. Why was he dehydrated in the first place?
I couldn't tell you. He'd had a grasshopper not long before he began to curl. Maybe a day? And it was sudden.

He was found under a chair, about a week and a half ago. His abdomen was very small, and when he curled it was even smaller.

It wasn't until I'd basically accepted his fate that I realized he wasn't fully mature, and this shouldn't be happening.
My friend then suggested water.

Sheldon is now a happy spider with a new enclosure, and a little lid of water.

:)

Crecious

3 Year Member
That's fantastic that he came around. I should have asked about a water dish, but after seeing the emboli, I assumed it was mature male on its way out. Did he not have access to water?

If your T has the emboli at the end of it's pedipalps, he's mature. It's not a bigger or smaller thing. The hooks, for species that have them, are not at the end of the pedipalps; they are on the first set of walking legs. Some species don't get these hooks, which is why it's not a surefire way to identify a male.

Again, glad to hear the little guy still has some life in him!

My friend made the point that he didn't have pronounced hooks, and the pedipalps were very small and undefined.
Clearly pedipalps, but it's like a baby's penis. You know what it is, you know it's male, but it's not as clearly defined until later.

I'm still new, so I will never reject advice, or corrections. I just found a couple pictures of mature C. Fasciatum, but he doesn't look fully grown at all.

Anything thing. I read males can be 6 times smaller than the female. This guy isn't even six times smaller.
He's a itty bitty boy.

Thanks so much, for the well wishes. I'm very glad he's alright.
I've grown rather fond of his 7 legs. (He lost one before we found him.)