• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Effects of elevated CO2 found in our dwellings on development and breeding.

Cnidarianfarmer

Long post, but an interesting thought!

High CO² levels found in well insulated/ sealed homes with multiple residents/ family and pets, ambient air outside typically has 375-400ppm of CO², where as some, esp well insulated and populated homes can have more than double that concentration.

Could these higher than outside ambient air CO² levels effect our inverts? maybe reduced growth rate? max size? breeding successes?
sling development, resilience? vitality?

So, one of my other hobbies and actual profession is coral reef aquariums, I am actually the manager of a large indoor ornamental coral aquaculture facility, and we track pH of the systems because higher pH = higher growth rates and increased resiliency in our corals. One of the big factors in pH of our systems, aside from Alkalinity and photoperiod is the ambient levels of CO² in the air, as having many of us working in an enclosed space can really elevate CO² levels of the building.
Many hobbyist reefkeepers see the same decrease in pH and utilize methods like calcium hydroxide and CO² scrubbers on skimmer/ airpump intakes
to help achieve a higher pH, closer to natural seawater levels.

Obviously cnidarians are different than arachnids, but the idea here is could the unnaturally high CO² levels in our dwellings
have some negative impacts to our arachnids?
esp if in basements without good air circulation where a heavier gas like CO² maybe at its highest?
Im not proposing that it could be dangerous or could kill your Ts, I understand that CO² is a good method to sedate them.
But constant exposure to double to concentration of ambient CO² than the outside air could be "holding them back" in a way is the idea Im considering. Many believe their Ts in bioactive and heavily planted enclosures appear to be more active and healthy, while I dont think anything has been proven, if this is true, maybe it has more to do with slightly reduced CO² levels than it is about the diverse microfauna and bacteria/ biodiversity.

Thoughts? Input ? has there been any peer reviewed research or studies regarding CO² levels impact of invertebrate/ arachnid development, resilience, procreation and vitality ? Whats your take on this possible variable of captive arachnid husbandry?

Would love to get a discussion going on this

Here is a peer reviewed study done on a species of wolf spider that found elevated CO2 can negatively impact the development and breeding of Paradosa sp.