• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dying ??

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
While she is in the ICU you may want to go ahead and clean her terrarium out, give her fresh substrate, wash her water dish and hide. I'd start over with a clean terrarium and fresh EVERYTHING.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While she is in the ICU you may want to go ahead and clean her terrarium out, give her fresh substrate, wash her water dish and hide. I'd start over with a clean terrarium and fresh EVERYTHING.
In the previous post he said he'd already done that and put her in a new enclosure :) i totally agree with you it's the best thing to do :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Day 3. She’s unfolded her legs, but still not moving except for some shaking. When I open the enclosure she folds up again.
Unfolding her legs is a good sign... Keep her in the ICU for a few more days.. Change the paper towel with more fresh damp paper towel as after a few days it can get slimey or cause mould so best to change it every few days and replace..
You say she is shaking? Did you use and sprays/chemicals /detergents in the room her enclosure was in prior to her behaving in the way she is now? Or even if you have other pets that have recently had flea treatment come into contact with her in anyway at all?

Myvalk

I’ll change out the towels. No, never used any chemicals near her or even in the house as my wife is extremely allergic to insecticide and herbicide etc. she is in the laundry/boiler room but with a Co. detector which is fully functional. I still wonder if the beetles might have bitten her.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update .... nothing new. She still just sits in one spot. Legs normal, not under her but I’m wondering if I should pick her up and examine her underside.
Have you put her back in her enclosure now? Probably best to leave her alone - just make sure she's near the damp sub and her water dish-- if her legs are now in a normal position that's a promising sign :) recovery can be slow in tarantulas and sometimes they need to moult to right there selves fully

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well still no change :-(
I’m Getting myself used to the idea that she may not be around much longer.
I’m going to start a new post with a question or two. Standby.
All you can do is wait - there's no quick fix as far as tarantulas go-
We have an Avicularia that arrived in a very poor state and it's taken 8 months to get her right again after a couple of moults and literally hand feeding her- don't give up she may pull through yet

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So it’s been a month and ten days since I first posted and probably 15 days before that since she MIGHt have eaten. So no food or water since then. I don’t know what to do.
Tarantulas have been known to survive over 2 years without food - that's not a problem but are you sure she hasn't had anything to drink, they often do so at night
Can you post a picture of her so we can see if she looks dehydrated at all? :)

Myvalk

Here she is.
26647ABE-54EB-42DA-AE2D-ACE92D80448C.jpeg
4AE2B29C-977C-4F17-B250-482EA00F3CD0.jpeg
4AE2B29C-977C-4F17-B250-482EA00F3CD0.jpeg
BF3DB92A-C693-4E93-9435-41F3698ABC1A.jpeg

Latest posts