• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dude... Moult Already!

VanessaS

3 Year Member
One of my E. campestratus. The other one has moulted, but this one is holding out. For what? I have no clue, but they need to moult already!
_DSC1829-2.jpg

This is how they respond to me telling them to moult...
_DSC1830-2.jpg

And my chub-o-rama G. pulchra. Again, the other one has moulted and this one is holding out.

_DSC1836-2.jpg

VanessaS

3 Year Member
And that G. pulchra is blowing my mind! I don't think I've ever seen a spider so heavily in pre-molt before.

You don't think there could be anything wrong with them? I mean, they are extremely active and are always wandering around when I open their home up to check on them. They ate recently as well. I hope nothing is wrong. Other guys have been moulting, with no problems, and they are all kept the same way.
They are pretty unbelievable, eh. They're going to be six inches by the time they moult. ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They each do things when they are ready, I swore a couple of mine were going to split. I was half afraid to keep feeding them :)

Meludox

3 Year Member
Nice! Mine is roughly two inches and her last molt was 3 months ago. I think she might??? be in pre-molt finally but I can't tell through her giant mirror patch. When she molted last she was beautiful shiny black but now she's gone to brown. :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats! My G. pulchra still won't molt, and now he's gone and pissed me off. Here I was waiting for him to molt feeding him once a week, taking out the roach when he didn't eat it. Sunday i fed him like usual, and the little pinhead ran through the crack between the hide and the wall, and the Lil Bastitch (my new name for the pulchra) ate it. Pounced on it with a ferocity like my GBB after a molt.

So now i've removed the door to his hide (you can all scold me later :p) and when i fed him last night the roach ran into the hide and became room service. Made me wonder if these G. pulchra do a hibernation thing in the winter months, cause he's eating fine now and hasn't shown any further signs of premolt.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Made me wonder if these G. pulchra do a hibernation thing in the winter months, cause he's eating fine now and hasn't shown any further signs of premolt.

They just love messing with ya. Mine did the same thing - went two weeks without eating and then gorged themselves for another two weeks before moulting.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Well, it's been a moulting frenzy around here with my Euathlus sp Red moulting this morning. Snapped these before going to work, but didn't get a chance to post them. They haven't grown at all, but they have a big black spot now. Hahahaha!
_DSC2074-2.jpg