• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dubia movement

spodermin

Does anyone out there have a cure to dubias playing dead? Someone told me to put them on their back which works sometimes but generally they sprint directly under the tarantula and play dead leaving the T confused until it gives up then they go burrow.

Perhaps a temperature change or light pattern or certain stimuli will make them move?

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
I stopped trying to feed my spider dubias. They just didn't trigger a feeding response from my GBB and would just burrow into the substrate. Using crickets and red runners now... Never refuses either one unless pre-molt.

Matthew

3 Year Member
My GBB is usually all over the larger dubias as soon as they hit the ground. The smaller dubias he seems to be confused by and it ends up like you describe with the roach playing dead under the T until the spider gives up and walks away. With the smaller ones which I now feed to my smaller boehmei, I crush the heads first and then put them in the enclosure on their backs. They flail around and eventually the spider comes along and grabs it. Since I started doing that I haven't had any issues feeding with dubias.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If a spider is hungry, a dubia will not escape it. It's a non issue. If you find dubia clustered around a water dish, put them back in the colony to feed. Otherwise don't worry about them.

Latest posts