• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Drying out Substrate

KhaleesiMae

3 Year Member
Need a little bit of help here guys. I just got a rose hair and I got as much moisture out of the substrate as possible but I think it may still be too damp for her. What can I do to dry it out quickly so she's comfortable???

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put it in the oven in a roasting tray but you need to stir it round a few times

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Agree w/h Enn. Low oven temp 170-200 degree and stir. We're referring to eco earth (aka coco fiber) correct? Organic soils can give off unpleasant odor to some people.
I use a set of bi-fold doors on sawhorses, lay on the substrate and let the sun dry it. Store it in 5 gallon buckets for future use. I can always add moisture if needed. Should mention, my collection isn't small and require a sizeable amount of ready to use substrate.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To be honest I don't usually put the oven on I just pop the substrate in after I've had the oven on to cook a meal and the residual heat does the job after a couple of meals, saves me worrying about it burning.

KhaleesiMae

3 Year Member
Since I only have three little Ts I ended up just buying a bag of the dry and putting it overtop the damp substrate and since then it has pretty much dried out so she's happy and doing well, but I feel like there's something missing from her enclosure.... I'll have to take a pic later and see what people think. It may just be me being crazy lol