• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dragging body and throwing hairs. Acting very strange, Help.

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Her molt went fine, she was doing great. now she is dragging instead of walking. She throws hairs wildly
when you get around her. Please help I am very worried about her.
She is a Rose Hair T.

l.poehling

3 Year Member

Attachments

• 2014-04-15 09.47.04.jpg
    2014-04-15 09.47.04.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 53
  • 2014-10-03 17.15.09.jpg
    2014-10-03 17.15.09.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • 2014-10-28 17.42.42.jpg
    2014-10-28 17.42.42.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 50

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
Get it out of that tank! change the substrate do not use sand/gravel it is or should i say already has cause irritation to the underside of the T. Use echo earth , vermiculite or nothing. put spider in an empty container for now with a small hide (intensive care) while you sort out enclosure issue.

l.poehling

3 Year Member
what is the stuff called your using for substrate
Calcium sand, she is 13 years old and has been in this all her life. This is only recently she is acting this way.
Now I am really lost. I do have Eco Earth I can try. what is the best way to use it, soaking it first, let it dry or just breaking it up?

Last edited:

Logan D

3 Year Member
Calcium sand, she is 13 years old and has been in this all her life. This is only recently she is acting this way.
Now I am really lost. I do have Eco Earth I can try. what is the best way to use it, soaking it first, let it dry or just breaking it up?

just follow the instructions but try to dry it out by baking it at like 350 for like 20 mins and then let it cool down or wring it out

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Ok, Started the soaking, and will oven dry it. I really am thankful for all the info. I will keep her housing different now.
I hope this will be visible difference and soon. don't want to lose her..

l.poehling

3 Year Member
Is she moving or is she just sitting on her side? I can't help much, but I wish you luck and hope everything goes okay.
Thank You Talmon, She is now on her back, and just moving a little. I never thought I would cry over a spider..
some legs are just folding up. I did remember an article stating they do not die on their back, is this true?
Boy I hope so... I am so angry and sad at the same time...

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank You Talmon, She is now on her back, and just moving a little. I never thought I would cry over a spider..
some legs are just folding up. I did remember an article stating they do not die on their back, is this true?
Boy I hope so... I am so angry and sad at the same time...

Hello

Let me start by saying usually death curl is not on their backs,and from what I read its a molt. Some T's can lie on their back motionless for long periods of time in the molt process,slightly moving now and then. So I hope when you update us,it will be with a successful molt.