• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Double A premolt question

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have a couple of A. avics and for some reason they both decided to start their premolt (at least that's what I'm guessing) right about the same time. They've been holed up in their webs for maybe six weeks now. Is this normal behavior for these spiders? This is new to me so I'm not sure what to expect. Any thoughts on this? Thanx.
:T:

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
are they from the same sac? It is not unusual for spiders from the same sac to have similar moult patterns. there is also the possibility that climate/annual moulting cycles to coincide with mating periods have come into play here.
The only other thing I can say, and this is at a very real risk of upsetting all the ladies on the forum....there is the possibility that their "cycles" have synched....lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
are they from the same sac? It is not unusual for spiders from the same sac to have similar moult patterns. there is also the possibility that climate/annual moulting cycles to coincide with mating periods have come into play here.
The only other thing I can say, and this is at a very real risk of upsetting all the ladies on the forum....there is the possibility that their "cycles" have synched....lol.
I was pondering that same theory..women really do that. It's kinda weird and interesting..these could be spider-women...

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

No, they're not related. Wasn't sure if lunar tides had anything to do with molting cycles. Or if maybe the moon was in the Seventh House when Jupiter aligned with Mars. :D

They've been holed up now going on two months. I'm getting a little anxious.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, they're not related. Wasn't sure if lunar tides had anything to do with molting cycles. Or if maybe the moon was in the Seventh House when Jupiter aligned with Mars. :D

They've been holed up now going on two months. I'm getting a little anxious.
Are they adults then? If they are and have previously fed well and always had fresh water available, even 2 months is not really anything to worry anout. they can fast for that amount of time easily. You been experiencing extreme weather where you are? High temps? if really worried, try to nick the web and have a peak in but I suspect you will be ok and before you know it, they will probably emerge in a brand new set of clothes.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Are they adults then? If they are and have previously fed well and always had fresh water available, even 2 months is not really anything to worry anout. they can fast for that amount of time easily. You been experiencing extreme weather where you are? High temps? if really worried, try to nick the web and have a peak in but I suspect you will be ok and before you know it, they will probably emerge in a brand new set of clothes.

Not quite full grown yet. And fresh water is always available. We've had high temps here but their cribs are kept indoors under pretty much climate-controlled conditions. I can see inside the webs just fine. I just wish they would come out. One (Esmeralda) has molted but the other (Elvira) hasn't. They like big fat juicy crickets but don't seem to care for doobie roaches. My LP (Emily) on the other hand loves both crickets and the doobies. She really likes to eat. I could offer her PB&J and she'd prolly take it.:D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not quite full grown yet. And fresh water is always available. We've had high temps here but their cribs are kept indoors under pretty much climate-controlled conditions. I can see inside the webs just fine. I just wish they would come out. One (Esmeralda) has molted but the other (Elvira) hasn't. They like big fat juicy crickets but don't seem to care for doobie roaches. My LP (Emily) on the other hand loves both crickets and the doobies. She really likes to eat. I could offer her PB&J and she'd prolly take it.:D
do all your Ts names start with E? :D must have raided the baby names book and got stuck on one letter....ha ha. I have stopped naming most of mine (nearly 200 atm). Sounds like they are all ok and just making you wait the little sods!

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I only have three Ts. Elvira (Mistress of the Dark) and Esmeralda from The Hunchback of Notre Dame. Emily just seemed to fit in keeping up with E names. I'm not necessarily hung up on E names, I just thought they were kinda classic. I've been told I have a different sense of humor.

Latest posts