• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Docility/temperament between three species in the Homoeomma genus

lailaq

As the title says, I’m looking for information on the comparison and differences of three species in the genus Homoeomma (formerly, Euathlus).

Everyone’s tiny fave, Homoeomma chilensis/H. sp. red—also seen described as Chilean dwarf flame/fire/sp. red—has the reputation of being curious, “chill”, and super docile, to the point of some calling their T is “sweet”. But those H. chilensis aren’t terribly available, so some (*ahem*, me, for instance) may feel compelled to check out some of the potentially more readily available others in the genus.

I’m specifically asking for temperament/keeping differences or similarities between Euathlus/Homoeomma sp. yellow (now known as Homoemma orellanai) and sp. blue (Homoeomma sp. peruvianum), as compared to the coveted H. sp. red. I may be missing others that are even less common than these, but for the sake of brevity, I’m just asking about these two.

Taking in consideration that individual T’s within various genus and species are absolutely unique in temperament and docility, would anyone say that the two others (sp. yellow and sp. blue) are similar to H. chilensis/sp. red?

Thank you to anyone who can shed some light on this. Also, yeah, that switch from Euathlus to Homoeomma is a *****. I understand (sort of) why it was done, but still. Considering that Euathlus is still being used in some listings, it’s no wonder why this stuff can be super confusing—especially for us newbies!

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
H. chilensis: exactly as described by many. There is someone on the other forum who used to be active, that had an H. chilensis that was defensive.

H. orellanai: same as majority opinion on H. chilensis.

The former E. sp. blue: I've heard they are more on the feisty side.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The reason they are hard to find is they are hard to breed. I've discussed this with dozens of breeders and the females are really aggressive with the males.

As with all spiders you can be bitten by these as well. There has been many people bitten by these.
Are they great spiders...sure.
Are they everyone's favorite...no.
There are dozens of more beautiful docile dwarfs out there.
Just ask @Enn49 shes got alot!!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I admit Homoeomma chilensis was a great favourite of mine but sadly no longer with me. I think my all time favourite dwarf is the Ami sp. Panama. She's very calm and at 4 years old is still not yet 2" dls.
full

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I admit Homoeomma chilensis was a great favourite of mine but sadly no longer with me. I think my all time favourite dwarf is the Ami sp. Panama. She's very calm and at 4 years old is still not yet 2" dls.
full
You have so many beautiful and unusual Dwarf Ts-i don't know how you can choose between them all:) the Ami's seem to be difficult to find but are a beautiful T to have in anyones collection-I personally love the Hapalopus sp Columbia :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

Mrjuve

The reason they are hard to find is they are hard to breed. I've discussed this with dozens of breeders and the females are really aggressive with the males.

As with all spiders you can be bitten by these as well. There has been many people bitten by these.
Are they great spiders...sure.
Are they everyone's favorite...no.
There are dozens of more beautiful docile dwarfs out there.
Just ask @Enn49 shes got alot!!!

Hi,

What are the other beautiful dwarf species ?