• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DKS and death curl advice

Ketch_1992

Hi,
I’ve had my G. pulchra for nearly 5 years. Went on holiday and asked my dad to take care of her. Told him where her food was asked him to try and feed her. However when I came back I noticed Penelope was showing signs of DKS. Her movements were erratic, she seemed confused and when I was putting my hand in to change her water she was being aggressive and looking stressed.

I spoke to my dad who said he wouldn’t dare open her cricket tub so caught a fly off the kitchen window and put it in her tank!! I think it may have been contaminated with pesticides as this is the only other explanation I have for her becoming poorly.

I was told to put her in an ICU, which I tried to however upon transporting her she went into a death curl! Her movement is little, just twitching every so often & not willing to drink water so I have been syringing droplets on the cotton pad of the ICU floor and keeping the enclosure warm and humid.

Does anyone have any experience with DKS and death molts or advice on how to help please???

Ketch_1992

Here are some videos of her…

Attachments

• IMG_3436.mov
    31.4 MB
  • IMG_3448.mov
    21.9 MB
  • IMG_3450.jpeg
    IMG_3450.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3452.mov
    47.7 MB

DuntyDunt

Tarantula Club Member
I'm really sorry and frustrated to hear what your father did, how is a fly any less ''disgusting'' than a cricket. Sadly, I have not heard of a cure or treatment for DKS. Sounds like you should have a serious talk with your dad. Best of luck.

Ketch_1992

I know, me too. He didn’t know the risks to feeding them outdoor food, which I get because he has no knowledge of tarantulas. Oh I did, trust me we’ve had some serious words. He said there was loads of crickets trying to get out the tub and he didn’t want them to escape! If I’d of known it was going to be an issue I’d of seperated one ready to feed. Thank you, I’m praying for a miracle because I can’t bear the thought of freezing her!
I'm really sorry and frustrated to hear what your father did, how is a fly any less ''disgusting'' than a cricket. Sadly, I have not heard of a cure or treatment for DKS. Sounds like you should have a serious talk with your dad. Best of luck.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The saddest thing about this tale is that she would have been fine if he'd just not fed her at all, they can go long periods without food as long as water is available.
Fingers crossed she'll pull through although I believe it can take quite a long time for them to recover so don't give up on her.

Ketch_1992

Absolutely heartbreaking to watch the video!! So sorry for your Penelope
The saddest thing about this tale is that she would have been fine if he'd just not fed her at all, they can go long periods without food as long as water is available.
Fingers crossed she'll pull through although I believe it can take quite a long time for them to recover so don't give up on her.

Absolutely heartbreaking to watch the video!! So sorry for your Penelope
Fingers crossed she'll pull through although I believe it can take quite a long time for them to recover so don't give up on her
That’s what’s making me feel so guilty! I wish I just asked him to top her water up. I feel sick every time I see her looking so sad. Honestly if I had it in me, I would of froze her and put an end to her suffering but I don’t and I can’t give up. I’ll look after her for as long it takes, main thing is she’s comfortable. I just wish there was a cure

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That’s what’s making me feel so guilty! I wish I just asked him to top her water up. I feel sick every time I see her looking so sad. Honestly if I had it in me, I would of froze her and put an end to her suffering but I don’t and I can’t give up. I’ll look after her for as long it takes, main thing is she’s comfortable. I just wish there was a cure

Please don't feel guilty, there was no way you could foresee what your father would do and he didn't know he was doing wrong.
Please keep us up to date on how she gets on.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Any update? OP has not been on for a week which might indicate Penelope did not do well. But his absence could be for another reason.

Ketch_1992

Any update? OP has not been on for a week which might indicate Penelope did not do well. But his absence could be for another reason.
Hello :) sorry for not updating. She’s still here, not fully out of the death curl stages yet but I hear it can take a few weeks? She’s moving a little more than she was but a till isnt drinking for herself or eating food but abdomen isn’t thin or shrivelled. Also Not sure if the temperature is right in her icu?

Latest posts