• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

DIY lantern display enclosure

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Next project... Hobby Lobby is having a 50% off terrarium sale. For $27, doesn't this just scream out to be a terrestrial tarantula enclosure!?
Keep in mind with this one that if it is all glass you might need to swap again some of the windows for drilled acrylic for ventilation. Looking forward to it.
What's wrong with regular enclosures? Lol

I admire your creativity and ingenuity but this one may not lend itself as well with the peaked lid and potentially high free climbing height. JM2C

Nurse Ratchet

Absolutely. That's half the battle, finding reasonably priced containers that are spacious and deep enough, and can be modified for cross ventilation. But it's so fun to build once you find one!

Nurse Ratchet

What's wrong with regular enclosures? Lol

I admire your creativity and ingenuity but this one may not lend itself as well with the peaked lid and potentially high free climbing height. JM2C
I appreciate your 2C and will happily take into account.
Regular enclosure are great, but usually more than $20-30. I would love to one day build my own. No glass workshops or classes near me. Haven't had shop since I was 13, and I'm working with a drill, knock off Dremel, and a handsaw for the time being. One day though, one day...

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just enough to bury you so you stop stinking
1642542072679.png

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
I would love to one day build my own. No glass workshops or classes near me. Haven't had shop since I was 13, and I'm working with a drill, knock off Dremel, and a handsaw for the time being. One day though, one day...

My dad used to do picture framing for a little extra money, including cutting glass to the right size with little more than a glass cutter tool and a length of wood to snap it against. The principle is simple enough, even if he did made it look easy, and even then it didn't go right 100% of the time. Though honestly, judging by what you've posted here, if you had just a little practise in glass cutting to get the feel of it, you'd be going gangbusters.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My dad used to do picture framing for a little extra money, including cutting glass to the right size with little more than a glass cutter tool and a length of wood to snap it against. The principle is simple enough, even if he did made it look easy, and even then it didn't go right 100% of the time. Though honestly, judging by what you've posted here, if you had just a little practise in glass cutting to get the feel of it, you'd be going gangbusters.
I concur. @Nurse Ratchet your creativity, enthusiasm and tenacity are apparent. Your only limitations are access to tools, material and experience - all of which can be over come with time and money.

Last edited: