• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Displaying Large Collection

Mygalomorphic

I have around 60 T’s which I know to some is not a large collection, but my fiancé will assure you it is an insane amount of tarantulas.
Currently I have all the enclosures on wire shelves a la Amazon Basics. This works great but isn’t very aesthetically pleasing to me. I’d like to have the collection look more like a display than a hoard. Has anyone achieved this with their collection and have any hints or ideas?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually you don’t hear large collection and aesthetics in the same sentence. There are different types of shelving you could use. I think some modify china cabinets to house a collection.

It’s a shame that TarantulasUS doesn’t exist anymore, there was a member there that did have a large collection in nice looking display cases that I’m almost certain he built himself.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Large collections often include both display animals, grow-out stock and breeding stock. Keeping of a collection like that is often more about function than form or fashion.

That being said I am in the process of building several display case enclosures to house my display stock as they need rehousing, pictures not yet available, but you can make a functional bakers rack look "presentable"

PXL_20210130_010147052.MP.jpg

Tagging @Oursapoil in on keeping large collections presentable

Kazegal

Mine is currently housed in Ikea Kallax closets (5x5), but I don't recommend it. I'm having a carpenter coming in to do measurements and then have them draw up a custom made large cabinet.

I have one of those big garage racks from Home Depot and then I ordered some bookcases/ stands off of Amazon. It's not as nice as it could be, I guess, but it still looks presentable and gets the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_20210829_182555325.jpg
    IMG_20210829_182555325.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I highly suggest mixing in live plants for an added aesthetically pleasing jungle look. I also found that having all my sling enclosures separate from my Adults and juvis helped a lot.
In addition I was not pleased with my collection until I housed all my slings in the same type of enclosure, (shape, color, size etc. ) I know it is very much not essential in the hobby however my compulsions say otherwise.
Lastly, find a shelving unit that matches your style. I have my family displayed on a IKEA Vittsjo shelf in black. This makes it look like it belongs in my living room and most visitors simply see terrariums and a "plant shelf" (Including my landlord who would not allow a dangerous and "poisonous" ;) animal such as a Tarantula)

Here is my shelf i use. They have smaller versions as well.
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/vittsjoe-storage-combination-black-brown-glass-s89294532/

Silver.macaroons

I'm looking to make my tiny collection of 9 Ts, 3 scorpions and 4 isopod bins look like part of my decor while also keeping it safe from my cats. I'm thinking of maybe trying the billy bookcase with glass doors but I'm not sure if that's going to have enough ventilation. I could drill holes in the sides but I don't want to do that more then I have to.