• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Different color forms

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
Something I've been looking at for a while, its quite intriguing. For example a B vagans from mexico looks different compared to a B vagans from say belise, hope I've got the name right. Or different color obt tarantulas, does location influence color forms so much ? Is it due to area,food,adaptation or just a fluke ?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also,since they are classified say as B.vagans no matter color form its still a vagans. Will these different color morphs if bred, bring a new color etc ? Or will it just revert to either the male or females gene pool ? Sorry I apologize,I'm just inquisitive.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Also,since they are classified say as B.vagans no matter color form its still a vagans. Will these different color morphs if bred, bring a new color etc ? Or will it just revert to either the male or females gene pool ? Sorry I apologize,I'm just inquisitive.

These are possibly different species and another huge mess of hybridization... But lets not get into that again. ;)

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
After seeing the colour differences in the B.vagans sort put me off getting one. The colour morphs should be seperated like some of the other species .

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Lol this topic is perfect for the entry i made in the Feb 2014 photo contest thread.

Simply put, color morphs are naturally occuring and are not to be confused with hybrids. A more acceptable explanation for their existence is their location and a genetic mutation in terms of pigmentation.

There was a 'similar' issue regarding color forms/morphs. G.rosea (NCF) and (RCF) which turned out that the NCFs were genetically different and thus, G.porteri happened. We have to wait for a more concrete research for verification that's out though

For your breeding question, a NCF x NCF will yield NCF brood with a small chance of getting a DCF sling.
DCF x DCF (both with DCF parents) will yield DCF slings
DCF x DCF (with one having a NCF parent) will yield both DCF and NCF slings
NCF (with NCF parents) x (DCF with DCF parents) will yield NCF slings since the normal color is the dominant trait for that species with a very low to no chance of getting a DCF sling
NCF (with DCF parent) × (DCF with DCF parent) will yield DCF slings with a small chance at some NCF slings

So no, they will not produce a new color but instead will have slings from either color

Last edited: