• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Differences in burrows

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These totally noob observations about my two, but cant sleep and wanted to share how cute I think they are.

My B albopilosum (Zombie) excavates a condo sized burrow and moves things around constantly, she (wishful thinking idk what it is yet) webs up the walls to hold things together and makes tons of room for herself and spends half of her time down there. Shes continually hungry and I'm convinced if she had a tongue she would lick the substrate to get every drop. she moves everything and seems to have a good time doing it, she hangs about under the silk plant hoping that just perhaps I'll drop a juicy treat in there for her. Shes not very attractive yet but I adore her even if she does horde things in her burrow. Shes very placid and calmly moves out of the way as long as your slow and gentle around her.​

My G rosea (Rouge) (I love this little mean thing) she makes a burrow of what appears to be ordinary size then drags sub into it until she barely fits. She isn't overly shy however and the sneaky brat rushes up every time I do her water dish. She does not actually threaten but gets in the way.She's a good eater (at the moment, I'm mentally prepared for her to fast) and always threatens her pre-killed food. Her live food she just pounces on. I think she may be a bit confused. Shes typical in that she hates the damp and when she tipped her water dish over I promise she cursed me in spider for an hour. I finally sprinkled a bit of dry substrate over the area and she forgave me. She is bold one minute and running for her burrow another.​

How two tiny little arachnids can give me so much pleasure just digging holes is beyond me, but I can't wait to get the next one :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If at some point you plan on getting into Old worlds down the road I recommend Augacephalus ezendami. It's hands down one of the most talented burrowers I've ever seen. They make extremely elaborate burrows with multiple entrances and exits and they have little "turrets" of webbing surrounding each hole. I'd show you a picture but mine was recently rehoused and hasn't started to do this just yet. I don't really keep many burrowing species, as my collection is focused on arboreals. Most of the burrowers I have like my Skeleton Tarantula and my Blue-Fang tend to be very reclusive.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't mind them hiding part time, but I don't care for the pet hole deal, I want to see them at least part of the time.
If they stay burrowed then I'd just feel cheated.
I do want some of the old world species, just want to be familiar enough with these guys as to
be safe for my benefit and theirs ^^
Just looked up that T, Id be quite happy having that one, I really like the look of it. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Kymura, just to let you know, not all roseas fast a lot. I have a big female that eats like my Lp..I had a male that broke records fasting, but mature males of most species do that. I think much of the reputation roseas have is because they're the most common tarantula sold, and many people don't realize they have a mature male..mostly. Just a theory. I have other species that fast, just not for a year like my male did.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im with u mass, there are a whole lot of roseys out there because they r the most common in pet store. at least around here. im sure they r everywhere. so if there are more of those than any other than there will be more questions with them.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I adore my little mean one, seriously,
want a RCF now as well, I'm ok with common :p
Everyone should have a G rosea with just a touch of tude ^^

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love watching tiny Ts burrow, it was the reason I fell in love with the B. albos and ended up with 3. There are so many different styles too, some almost never appearing others making those massive tunnel systems. The same applies to the webbers though, again many different designs.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't mind them hiding part time, but I don't care for the pet hole deal, I want to see them at least part of the time.
If they stay burrowed then I'd just feel cheated.
I do want some of the old world species, just want to be familiar enough with these guys as to
be safe for my benefit and theirs ^^
Just looked up that T, Id be quite happy having that one, I really like the look of it. :)
I don't mind pet holes. Some of the most beautiful species out there are per holes. When you do get to see tthem it's almost like a treat.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If at some point you plan on getting into Old worlds down the road I recommend Augacephalus ezendami. It's hands down one of the most talented burrowers I've ever seen. They make extremely elaborate burrows with multiple entrances and exits and they have little "turrets" of webbing surrounding each hole. I'd show you a picture but mine was recently rehoused and hasn't started to do this just yet. I don't really keep many burrowing species, as my collection is focused on arboreals. Most of the burrowers I have like my Skeleton Tarantula and my Blue-Fang tend to be very reclusive.
:eek:now see what you did, reading about them and looking at pictures, :confused: its now on the list right after my G. pulchripes, Just have to try and find one I can actually afford.

Fleas

3 Year Member
Im with u mass, there are a whole lot of roseys out there because they r the most common in pet store. at least around here. im sure they r everywhere. so if there are more of those than any other than there will be more questions with them.
Ya I agree about the local pet stores have all the Rosie more than the online dealers o_O I have too get off of my lazy a$$ and find a mature male porteri at one, one day:rolleyes:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Then you go thinking: Hmmm, that bare wall can accommodate a shelf... Which is good for 15, nah max. of 30 mature Ts. Must start making a list... ;););)

Latest posts