• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Did a tarantula dealer get sued?

ryanm7277

The reason I ask, is when asking questions about species and their temperament or even growth rate, why doesn’t anyone have definitive answers? Ok sure temperament differs from species to species and even spiders of the same species and from molt to molt. I totally understand that. I totally get today fluffy could totally walk out in my hand and sit there for two hours one day and then the next just go crazy hulk smash T and attack it the next. But I find when asking questions people are more evasive than helpful with information. Why is that?

Granted I’m new to the hobby and sure it is what it is but if you are selling tarantula, then theoretically you are also caring for them as well as breeding them? Why don’t you know how long it takes for them to mature. It’s like information is a dirty secret in the hobby and I don’t understand why?

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
You have answered most your own question in your first paragraph, so you know more than what you think. Remember it is your choice to pick up the tarantula for interaction and the chance you take because accidents do happen like falls etc. A lot of keepers pick up there Ts rarely or disturb them for minimum stress,
Alot of dwarf species are quite agile and quick and would say skittish. So, this could cause an escapee leading the keeper to be stressed looking for it, also stressing the T. Also, not everyone keeps dwarf Ts or has knowledge on all species.
Try to google it or what every browser you use for search of dwarf Ts and care sheets and info, that's what I do if I don't get a reply. That said there are less keepers or experienced keepers answering up I have noticed. Not everyone gets answered so do not take to a heart,

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
why doesn’t anyone have definitive answers? Ok sure temperament differs from species to species and even spiders of the same species and from molt to molt.

An OBT I had a few years ago was a total kitten, but one of my daughters Brachypelmas is known as that psycho *****.

With husbandry, there are good, bad & grey areas, but with temperament, it's impossible to say anything for sure.

Why don’t you know how long it takes for them to mature. It’s like information is a dirty secret in the hobby and I don’t understand why?

The growth rate is dependent upon things like temperature & feeding habits. If a T goes on a year long fast, then it's not going to grow much during that year. However, if it is an eager feeder, then it will grow faster.

I have had an Aphonopelma johnnycashi for two years & it is still a very small sling. Certainly no more than 2cm & it was 1cm when I got it. Even for a slow growing species, this is sloooooow.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If it has fangs it can and will bite. Its really that simple. I've been tagged a few times, by a few docile spiders too.

I have purposely slowed down the growth rates of males for breeding. I've also sped them up. For an example I've had sac mate males mature years apart. Speed up food intake for one and slow down the other one along with temperature changes. This can happen in the wild as well, not just in a controlled environment. This is why there's not definitive answer for maturing, each spiders environments may be different. This goes for female spiders as well.

x_raphael_xx

The growth rate is dependent upon things like temperature & feeding habits. If a T goes on a year long fast, then it's not going to grow much during that year. However, if it is an eager feeder, then it will grow faster.
This.
Last year I bought my first two T's. A G.pulchra and a free N.chromatus.
The pulchra was 4cm, and has barely grown. The chromatus was tiny! Arrived in one of those thin pipette type pots, and is now the same size as the pulchra.
Even sac mates, of the same sex, in the same enviroment, will grow at different rates.
Noone is withholding information, the T community I've found is extremely friendly and helpful to each other, newbies and old hats alike. If there is no answer, it means we don't know :)

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member
Unfortunately it's not an exact science, or written-in-stone thing when it comes to growth rate. Depends on a lot of factors. Rate of feeding and size/type of food, temperature, species of spider, sex of the spider... they are all factors that contribute to the spider's growth rate. Plus the individual spider's genetic make-up.

In the end, the reason there are no exact answers to some of the information that you are looking for is because those exact answers just don't really exist. Most of what you will find are guidelines put out by tarantula keepers with their one experiences. There isn't a lot of, or should I say enough of tarantula research in the scientific community. Most comes from hobby community, which is why places like this forum is so important and helpful.

I have found keepers and YouTube creators like Tom Moran from Tom's Big Spiders, Petko from the Dark Den, and Richard from The Tarantula Collective (just to name a few) very informative when I first started out getting serious about the hobby, and to this day very helpful. I watched a lot of spider husbandry, and enclosure builds from them before I even ordered my first T, and I was able to gain a lot of knowledge from them to be very successful in the hobby.

I hope this helps.

Latest posts