• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dermestes beetle larvae

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Does anyone use the Dermestes beetle larvae, those small furry things that we find in the bottom of tubs of crickets. As a clean up crew in their enclosures?

I believe taxidermists use these small furry worms as their clean up crews & have thought about using them, as they reported to eat almost anything. But it is that claim, that they eat anything, that puts me off.

05549-fig14.jpg

Hagraven

I don't, as I had the same "what if" worry. Almost brought some home to use in my Dubia colony. I've read folks say they are great, but I'm not sure!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Almost brought some home to use in my Dubia colony.

We keep acquiring them when we buy crickets & normally just move them container to container. But this last week's feeding night, we found far more of them, than normal & it was with my roach colonies that I was thinking of using them with. I no longer keep Dubia, but I do have Giant Hissing, (Gromphadorhina portentosa) & Peppered. (Archimandrita tessellata.)

Latest posts