• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

dealing with the OBT

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
OK I'm new to old world ts and I want some tips on transferring my obt that I'm getting and doing cage maintenance. Any advice would b great

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello I would say do it in an empty bath, use a paint brush to coax it to move. The soft bristles shouldn't harm her, and if she strikes no damage to her fangs. Just remember, they can display bursts of speed. Just don't get startled, and don't handle her if possible.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
I usually just get a plastic cup and an old greeting card. Just cup the obt in, scoop the cup from below with the card along with the obt and done. Quick, easy, no sweat. I dunno, maybe my obt's just not that vicious?!

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Are we talking about an adult, juvenile, or sling? I use a very different method when moving an adult vs a baby Orange Bitey Thing (obt) :)
uploadfromtaptalk1390671088939.jpg

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Rehoused my 15cm murinus today. Just put the old enclosure next to the new one and chase it out with a set of long forceps. She did make a run for it while I was trying to photograph her though... :)

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
Rehoused my 15cm murinus today. Just put the old enclosure next to the new one and chase it out with a set of long forceps. She did make a run for it while I was trying to photograph her though... :)
Always a good method if you can pull it off :)

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I only keep old world spiders and as long as you are confident I find there is not much to worry about. Most spiders become less defensive when out of their territories. I handled quite a few Harpactira and Ceratogyrus species today while trying to get them into a position to photograph and didn't have one get defensive on me.

Charmyknux

3 Year Member
My adult female (recently passed away) used to flare up and strike at me all the time. I used to push her around with a big plastic straw. She would bite and strike at it a few times, but once she realized it wasnt a threat she would let me guide her around with it :)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello again
I can't say my technique works well with obt's, but like hatian browns or Venezuelan sun tigers and a few other aggressive tarantulas it has worked. Also I must add, nice to see how people handle their tarantulas. Love the responses.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Suggestion for some maybe. Ive got a Haitian brown with 2 inch fangs, pair of kevlar gloves from home depot are meant to stop knives. Ive had him bite the gloves many a time and hes not pierced me. I enjoy them because it keeps ur hand safe and allows u to actually use ur hands to move ur tarantula. Which I find much better.

Spidro

3 Year Member
I will atempt to get a picture of his fangs when he shows off sometime lol. Point is the kevlar works wonders :p

Spidro

3 Year Member
Ya im not looking forward to being bitten. But I heard as a tarantula keeper its enevitable? Lol. If they rnt 2 inches the petshop lied to me, they did have him for a bit so I assume they could have gotten some kind of measurement if they wanted. But id say as a guess they are easily inch and a half no problem. Bugger was going to town on some paper towel I had in there to keep crickets from getting out. Took it out so he wouldnt be so persuaded to tear it apart and find an escape, even though there was none for him lol... to stay on topic for the sake of the thread; kevlar trust me ; p

Spidro

3 Year Member
OBT or versicolour are next on my list when spring comes. All the best to ya, let me know how your endeavours go \m/