• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dead tarantula or molt?

Gage_blevins

B1D423DE-7548-4504-962B-AF53E7331A7D.jpeg
F76DAD4B-FFEC-412F-A93A-1FB1AB61F070.jpeg
So i have an H. mac sling for about a month and he is due for a molt. Recently he made his burrow somewhere i cant see him. Now i have found a skeleton that seems to be a molt but honestly im not sure. Btw the skeleton was found in an open part of the cage not his burrow. I would find him to check on him but if he just molted i dont want to hurt him. Im gonna put a dead cricket in tomorrow night and see if it disappears. But if anyone has an opinion on this that would be great.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He'll come out when he's ready. Congrats on your first moult :)

Raymond1973

I found Bessie this morning like this and I'm afraid she's not molted I'm praying she's still ok but I think the reality is that she's gone

Attachments

• 20180616_085735.jpg
    20180616_085735.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found Bessie this morning like this and I'm afraid she's not molted I'm praying she's still ok but I think the reality is that she's gone

Give her time. She's flipped ready to moult but it can take a while. Just give her peace and quiet and she should be fine.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hmm, usually when they pass away, they're upright with legs curled beneath them. They molt on their back. But that one doesnt look right..any movement of the legs? Theres no molt mat, which isnt uncommon, but it sure looks..wrong..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now I realize what seemed wrong. It's legs are curled too tightly to be molting, and you can see a bunch of substrate caught in them, indicating it had curled in the upright position and rolled over. Sorry just thinking out loud.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I appreciate your help really do thanks again
No problem at all. Just so you're aware, the only thing that will make you feel better is getting another. There are so many spiders out there that need good homes, and good keepers. Have you raised any slings? There's something special about watching them grow to be huge masterful beasts, lol. I recommend it.