• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dead or Pre-Molt

katyleekoby

Hi guys.

I feel like I might know the answer to this already but I just want to make sure.

I have had my Pink-Toe, Lucas for about 2 years now. End of January he started to shows signs of molting, but he still ate and honestly up until a few days ago, I wasn’t worried. When I was changing his water a few days ago, I just felt like something was off? So I posted in another forum with some pictures asking if anyone thought he was sick and everyone agreed that he was definitely in pre-molt and looked perfectly healthy.

Today I woke up and checked on him and he is completely unresponsive. I only touched him a little bit because I didn’t want to bug him, but there is literally no movement at all. He’s molted plenty of times before and has never acted like this. He isn’t in a death curl, but I’m very aware that Tarantulas can die and not curl. I’m going to attach some pictures and any advice is greatly appreciated. I am going to keep him in his cage and leave him be for now. ThE pictures I’m attaching are one I took of him today when I found him.

He is my first tarantula, so I’m just a little broken over it.

thanks!

Attachments

• A2EB7AF7-A252-4C1E-9FC2-F1F13FECAA17.jpeg
    A2EB7AF7-A252-4C1E-9FC2-F1F13FECAA17.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • CF18FF51-F18F-4E07-9F76-695501A5F6EC.jpeg
    CF18FF51-F18F-4E07-9F76-695501A5F6EC.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • 8842B0AA-AF12-47F6-8113-B45861F1C49A.jpeg
    8842B0AA-AF12-47F6-8113-B45861F1C49A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 89

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi
Is your Avic a confirmed male? Avics don't go to the ground to moult although I cant say if it has died from your pictures
100 % no movement at all?

katyleekoby

Hi
Is your Avic a confirmed male? Avics don't go to the ground to moult although I cant say if it has died from your pictures
100 % no movement at all?
I’m like 80% sure he’s a male. But yes, I’ve never had him molt on the ground. Last night he was up in his plants and wasn’t moving much and I woke up to him on the ground. And yes, there has been no movement for about 6 hours but he was already slowing down last night.

katyleekoby

I’m like 80% sure he’s a male. But yes, I’ve never had him molt on the ground. Last night he was up in his plants and wasn’t moving much and I woke up to him on the ground. And yes, there has been no movement for about 6 hours but he was already slowing down last night.
Sorry, I should add that I did end up touching him gently with a little brush. I have a a pretty good feeling he is dead.

blade49

Hi guys.

I feel like I might know the answer to this already but I just want to make sure.

I have had my Pink-Toe, Lucas for about 2 years now. End of January he started to shows signs of molting, but he still ate and honestly up until a few days ago, I wasn’t worried. When I was changing his water a few days ago, I just felt like something was off? So I posted in another forum with some pictures asking if anyone thought he was sick and everyone agreed that he was definitely in pre-molt and looked perfectly healthy.

Today I woke up and checked on him and he is completely unresponsive. I only touched him a little bit because I didn’t want to bug him, but there is literally no movement at all. He’s molted plenty of times before and has never acted like this. He isn’t in a death curl, but I’m very aware that Tarantulas can die and not curl. I’m going to attach some pictures and any advice is greatly appreciated. I am going to keep him in his cage and leave him be for now. ThE pictures I’m attaching are one I took of him today when I found him.

He is my first tarantula, so I’m just a little broken over it.

thanks!
Sorry to say but bead I would say

MalePinkToe

My first T a male Pink Toe (slim) died 5/14. As you observed he was "off" in behavior, it was especially odd when he just fell off the top of his perching stick and had a bad time getting off his back. He managed to climb back up only to the top and fall backwards again. It seemed he could not see, that is, he reached out with claws extended into areas where there was nothing to grasp...and hold that position for hours. Found death curled, right side up, in the bottom of the enclosure the next AM. He stopped eating a week ago. I bought him 2/23/2020 Every day I said to him " You are a big! scary! spider!" he never disagreed.

Latest posts