• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cyriopagopus doriae Progression

lews r.a.d

Okay my C doriae has now made some kind of starter burrow if you could even call it that since finally beginning to settle down from the long trip. She seems rather skinny but I was advised not to feed her whilst she’s settling in as it can cause problems with them settling. But since she’s made a start of a burrow would it be okay to feed her a little bit or should I wait even longer
00019DEF-CC8C-470C-BD1D-52A543DA7FBE.jpeg
1B461340-23BB-405B-86FB-0AB366B7539C.jpeg
523C2EC5-EE01-43E3-9155-5C8C403C4F67.jpeg

lews r.a.d

Offer her food if she reacts to it straight away and doesn't want it then remove it.
A lot of doriae are wild caught (I'm guessing yours came from TSS?)
So they struggle to settle in,
Just takes time that's all.
Okay will do Thankyou. Do you know the right conditions to keep them in? I’ve been keeping her in a slightly moist substrate with a lot of it but I don’t know if it’s right as there isn’t much info online

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Okay will do Thankyou. Do you know the right conditions to keep them in? I’ve been keeping her in a slightly moist substrate with a lot of it but I don’t know if it’s right as there isn’t much info online
As said above by @plessey they like deep moist substrate so you may find it a better option to switch to a container where you can add more substrate such as a cereal container or something similar.
Once she burrows away you will rarely see her if at all so there's not much point keeping in the enclosure you have, that would be ideal and put to better use for a nice terrestrial species :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Octanejunkie's observation

A modicum of research into any species easily reveals correct keeping practices for most species available in the hobby, yet people use the internet to ask questions first vs search.

The internet was invented for information sharing and research.

AlPC.gif

lews r.a.d

I've found that the best way to keep these is in a plastic cereal container with at least 8" of slightly damp multi purpose compost or potting soil. They are burrowers so your current set up is not ideal for it.
Ok it has eaten and seems pretty ok. My step up isn’t the best by any means but j still tried to make her feel comfortable there is probably around 6 inches of sub around the back but I’ll see how she gets on if she starts seeming stressed then I’ll move her into a container as you suggested

lews r.a.d

As said above by @plessey they like deep moist substrate so you may find it a better option to switch to a container where you can add more substrate such as a cereal container or something similar.
Once she burrows away you will rarely see her if at all so there's not much point keeping in the enclosure you have, that would be ideal and put to better use for a nice terrestrial species :)
Ok I will see how she goes in this enclosure but if I find she doesn’t like it then I will change her into a deeper enclosure

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My humble opinion: always good to listen to three of the wisest people in the hobby. HOWEVER, if your T is doing all of the things a Cyriopagopus does.... like eat, web, and it behaves as one would expect of a fossorial T, there is no reason to change anything. Congratulations! A great species. Enjoy.

lews r.a.d

It's still a bad set up for this species.
I’ve bought another container just in case I find her not making any more progress. In which case I will rehouse her but she seems to be doing fine and after seeing research they can live semi terrestrial but they just get more defensive which is understandable. I respect your opinion and will take it into account, I will put your idea into action if she starts not liking her setup

lews r.a.d

My humble opinion: always good to listen to three of the wisest people in the hobby. HOWEVER, if your T is doing all of the things a Cyriopagopus does.... like eat, web, and it behaves as one would expect of a fossorial T, there is no reason to change anything. Congratulations! A great species. Enjoy.
I respect your opinion and you are fully entitled to it. Another reason I’m sceptical to change her setup is because I’ve seen content creators keep fossorial species like this and if they’re doing this surely it’s okay too? Apparently it just makes them more defensive. I’ve taken your views into account and if I see a problem with her settling in within another week I’m going to rehouse her in a new enclosure with more inches of substrate

lewis

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, your animal can cope with less than ideal conditions, and that may manifest itself in defensiveness, but the fact that it is burrowing and attempting to make tunnels in the current situation doesn't mean it's thriving. It's making lemonade out of lemons per instinctive programming.

You asked for advice, you were given advice, what you do with it now is up to you. Honestly it doesn't amount to a hill's worth of beans to us whether or not you follow the advice given; you asked, and we answered.

Best of luck, brother

lews r.a.d

Yes, your animal can cope with less than ideal conditions, and that may manifest itself in defensiveness, but the fact that it is burrowing and attempting to make tunnels in the current situation doesn't mean it's thriving. It's making lemonade out of lemons per instinctive programming.

You asked for advice, you were given advice, what you do with it now is up to you. Honestly it doesn't amount to a hill's worth of beans to us whether or not you follow the advice given; you asked, and we answered.

Best of luck, brother
Thankyou I’ve taken your advice on board. I counted the inches of substrate at the back it has around 6 to 6 and a half inches of sub and whilst I was at work it’s made a full on burrow down at the back
6E9A578A-1867-41D2-97BD-E0E768E1F76A.jpeg

JACEY

I’ve bought another container just in case I find her not making any more progress. In which case I will rehouse her but she seems to be doing fine and after seeing research they can live semi terrestrial but they just get more defensive which is understandable. I respect your opinion and will take it into account, I will put your idea into action if she starts not liking her setup
I've seen keepers start a burrow for them to find. Maybe you could take some long object and carefully start one at back in the deeper sub. Good luck.

Latest posts