• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curly Haired Sling Question

I have 2 curly haired slings from the same egg sack, that I got back in April. Right around 1/2 inch dls. One of them is a good 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 inches already and the other is maybe 1 inch dls.

They have pretty much molted with in a few days of each other everytime. Does the size difference boil down to just the individual spider? Or could it be that one is male and needs to grow larger faster?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Back in 2014 I bought 3 curlies and asked myself the same question and also whether behaviour was an indicator of sex.

These were my observations over their first year with me:-
Coco - 5 moults - always visible, even when burrowed it would show itself. = Male
Jalen - 4 moults - would hide away at times but often visible too. = Male
Tinto - 5 moults - very shy, would run to hide when disturbed. = Female

Sadly neither proved my theories unless you can count the fact that the shyest one was female. She's still fairly shy, runs for cover when I open her container.

Both of my curly's are always out. The largest doesnt run away from me unless I push her towards her hide if I am taking the lid entirely off its enclosure.
The smaller is good until I touch its enclosure then it teleports underground, but as soon as I walk off its right back out. They both molt right out in the open as well. So I can only guess that they are happy, or as happy as a spider can be.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Does the size difference boil down to just the individual spider?
Yes the size difference could just boil down to the individual spider.

Or could it be that one is male and needs to grow larger faster?
Yes, some say the faster they grow, then the more likely male. Others disagree.

The number of times I have looked at one of my T's & thought that is growing too quickly / slowly it must be Male/ Female. Or thought those legs are too long & thin, this has to male. Or thought.. Well you get the idea & often I'm wrong.

All I can say is. All this observation, based upon logic, experience etc etc. Yet still getting it wrong. All helps to keep the hobby interesting.

Latest posts