• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cryptic's Mausoleum

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
OK. There is arguing going on about the tax. of these spiders... so... I will include the names that are being argued about.

Aphonopelma seemanni 'BCF'... Aphonopelma sp "Guatemala"... Aphonopelma sp 'Blue'....

I was told by a top name in the hobby to use the "Aphonopelma sp 'Guatemala' " until it is decided and published the final decision of the name for these.

@Derrick - Here's the blue spider I promised you. :)

full

full

full

Few more pix in my albums.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never really been interested in these but from what I remember with speaking with Stuart Longhorn about them, Aphonopelma sp. Guatemala is the correct name (although there may be 2 species called this). Aphonopelma seemanni do not have the diagonal stripe on the metatarsus. Iirc Ray Gabriel did an article about these in the BTS journal last year. I'll have a look later when I'm not at work.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Found it - Gabriel, R. 2014. Aphonopelma seemanni (F.O.P.-Cambridge, 1897) Blue form - Fact and fiction, (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 29 (2): 94-97.

Basically it says the Aphonopelma seemanni "blue" is a separate species rather than just a colour form and should be labelled as Aphonopelma sp. "Guatemala striped legs" (to distinguish it from any other Guatemalan species being imported). Also a paper is in preparation by Ray Gabriel and Stuart Longhorn to describe this blue species.

So nothing new to add to the conversation I'm afraid but at least my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was.

CrypticSpider

3 Year Member
Found it - Gabriel, R. 2014. Aphonopelma seemanni (F.O.P.-Cambridge, 1897) Blue form - Fact and fiction, (Araneae: Theraphosidae). Journal of the British Tarantula Society, 29 (2): 94-97.

Basically it says the Aphonopelma seemanni "blue" is a separate species rather than just a colour form and should be labelled as Aphonopelma sp. "Guatemala striped legs" (to distinguish it from any other Guatemalan species being imported). Also a paper is in preparation by Ray Gabriel and Stuart Longhorn to describe this blue species.

So nothing new to add to the conversation I'm afraid but at least my memory isn't as bad as I thought it was.

@plessey - Thank you so much for that info. The one who told me about using 'Guatemala' for now also was told this from Stuart. That a paper will be done is awesome, and I can't wait to see it. :)

@Derrick - Like plessey, I don't 'get into' this species either altho they are beautiful. To my eyes you have a 'normal' A. seemanni, but take this with a grain of salt due to my lack of knowledge on these. It's a beauty too! :)