• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cross ventilation

streety

Hello everyone, am just getting back into Ts and have been looking on you tube at enclosures, lot of talk about cross venting am confused for CV to be effective there would need to be air movement to at least one side of the enclosure reducing air pressure to remove air from inside, where as top and bottom vents will work in still air through convection, any thoughts, I may be wrong school boy physics and all

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is a very interesting question. As science is not my forte, I just assumed cross ventilation meant having holes on the sides of the enclosures instead of or in addition to vents on the top.
Whether a source of air movement is needed to facilitate cross ventilation I am not sure. I myself have bought a small fan 3-4 inches that I plan to use this summer to help cool down my enclosures. I don't think I will use it directly on them, just in passing. I have read that fans can dry out enclosures.

Hopefully simeone with more experience or science brain will answer.

MBullock

3 Year Member
The use of cross-ventilation is to allow air into the lower levels of the enclosure- cross ventilation is best added just above the substrate surface to ensure Co2 leaks out and doesnt pool.

Ventilation at the top will not work as well, as it lets air in, but the Co2 still pools, which can suffocate inverts that breathe via spiracles.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Excellent. Thanks. I knew about it needing to be lower down closer to the substrate.

Latest posts