• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Crickets Vs. Roaches

marya1962

3 Year Member
I am glad to hear there are roaches that are not the same as Asian or German roaches. I'll have to research Dubias. But my Rosie still loves her crickets.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely NOT. In fact the American Roach pests (American, Oriental and German) are labeled as "greasy". The Dubias, Lobster and false Deathhead have way more nutritional value than the common cricket as well.

Taylynn

3 Year Member
Tequila... that's fair! lol. My experience with dubias so far is lovely. They're very easy to care for. Like everyone else has said, they don't jump, fly, climb, bite, stink, or sing. My only issue is they are hard to pick up with feeding tongs. I'm always afraid I'm going to crush the poor thing!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel the same way with the tongs. But they seem incredibly resilient and I have not killed any accidentally. I am getting better and better with it. Seems like the only way to actually make sure your T gets to eat them is to tong feed. I have had several drop and now live in the tanks burrowed into the substrate. PITA but if they are that much more nutritional than crickets, I suppose it is worth it.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:D!!! Takes some practice and some looong tongs. Staying out of reach especially for those fast pokies is the key.

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
I've fed superworms, cultured elephant hawk moths from my mom's garden and rice field frogs for years without any problems. My only concern with crickets is that they die easily and they coz an unwanted smell inside my enclosures if uneaten quickly. Their bolus/ash also attracts a lot of ants and where i'm at, that's not a fun experience. Roaches are the best if you can get a hold of them though

Do you have to be careful as to how many frogs you feed them?...As we have an abundance of anole lizards, and I've read that they can only have two per year...

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I'm switching over to roaches for my T's. I bought some smaller dubias and they are easy to care for. I just ordered a mixed batch with some adult breeders. I never thought I would use roaches but they are not as gross as the pest types. I also keep mantids and it's a little trickier to get them to except them as food over flies or crickets.

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Oh and mealworms too! Which feeder do you prefer for your T and why?

Every three months, I find the smallest anole lizard I can find...I give it to my T's...If it lives through the night, I usually give it a reprieve, and catch a new one...Also, crickets, and mealies...I wish I could buy dubias, but they won't ship to Florida...I live on an island in the country, and I actually look for wild roaches, as they aren't sprayed where I am...This is unheard of in Florida!!!...I've had my T's eight months, and still haven't found a one...

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Do you have to be careful as to how many frogs you feed them?...As we have an abundance of anole lizards, and I've read that they can only have two per year...

Frog bones are softer and easier to digest than lizard bones if you're worried about an adult bad molt or too much calcium intake. I normally feed once every 2 months so they get to eat it bi-monthly if i have excess frog feeders during that time. Reptile scales also contain high amounts of collagen that allegedly causes a tough exoskeleton for Ts to molt out so feed at your own risk

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haven't heard of frogs being on the T menu. I suspect some frogs may be dangerous but sounds like you have found the right species. Interesting....

StoptheInsanity

3 Year Member
Frog bones are softer and easier to digest than lizard bones if you're worried about an adult bad molt or too much calcium intake. I normally feed once every 2 months so they get to eat it bi-monthly if i have excess frog feeders during that time. Reptile scales also contain high amounts of collagen that allegedly causes a tough exoskeleton for Ts to molt out so feed at your own risk
Do you raise your own frogs?...My neighbor has a small fish pond and does have an abundance of frogs occasionally...She may not allow me to catch any if she knew I was to feed a tarantula...They need to be babies, Right?...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
And to think that some people think hedgehogs are cute and spiders are not? Hmph.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Like i said, i breed feeder frogs. They normally max out at 4" from snout to vent. I normally feed them off around 3". My Ts are all adults anyways and could easily tackle prey this size. Unlike mice, they don't put up a fight.

My hedgehogs are wild. Here they normally scuttle around trash bins and backyards. Asian deserts are harsh so they literally eat live animals here. I even saw 2 hedgehogs eating a kitten one time.

mrotsliah

3 Year Member
I've always wondered if my T gets tired of eating crickets all the time. I guess I could try to see if I can get roaches. There might be some at that one pet store, but then my T will be like, "Why didn't you get me one of these years ago?!" (My T talks to me; she is sentient, you know.) XD

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sometimes, it takes awhile for a T to grab a roach. Especially if they have been on a long diet of cricket. Don't give up. They will take it eventually and thank you sentiently ;)

Latest posts