• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Could someone please shed some light

jon ross

3 Year Member
Hi people. I have a bit of a problem with my chille

First of all shes a red chille rose

Right here goes. I had peat subtrate in her enclosure and all seemed well, she was in and out of her borrow, cleaning herself on show, at the water dish, eating, the lot. While talking about this problem to a mate he told me shes unhappy if shes on the move all the time??

I discovered little white creatures in the waters of both enclosures so i had to clean them all out and replace the substrate. I used a coconut media and also added sone cork bark too. Once all done my smithi loved it and borrowed right in but the chille seemed to hate it as she just sat up on the cork bark and didnt move.

A week later i tried to feed her and it looked like she just masacered the teo crickets and didnt eat them. So i decided to change her substrate back to the peat stuff but this time i left her in there and removed as much coconut media as poss then put the peat on top. She came down for a day or two and was in her shelter but them back up to the cork bark again.

3weeks later shes still there and i put a cricket in and she just kicked it out of the way and the cricket came back and walked underneath her and she didnt even move. There is a bit of coconut media at the back of her shelter still so i wonder if thats why she wont go in there but she still dont go on the rest of it.

During talking to a mate about this, he told me to put her on sand??? Ive heard thats not a good idea but he said wen he changed his to sand they lived it and webbbed all over the floor and moulted.

Oh and ive noticed these little white things are back too!! But only in with the chille so i think they are from the peat (which is from my local reptile shop)

So were am i going wrong?? Lol

And sand or not sand??

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
DO NOT put her on sand. Eco/peat is fine. but it needs to dry out, they don't like wet conditions. If it is dry, just give her time. constant changes can be very stressful, the little white things could very well just be pinhead crickets. especially if the sub is wet.

jon ross

3 Year Member
I did think that sand was bad and i told him that but he wouldnt take my opinion as im a noobie compared to him lol.

Thank you for the advise

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
I agree with Nada..no sand! They also take a while to settle in at times. If she isn't eating, I wouldn't try to feed her but every couple of weeks. Toss one cricket in and take it out the next morning if it's still there. Keep her water dish full. She will be fine.

ShadEO9

3 Year Member
I'm very new around here, but if i can give you any advise it'd be listen to Nada. He has been super helpful with great advice since I've been here. :)