• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Correct for a GBB sling?

Lonewolf5503

3 Year Member
Hello,first real post here.
im just curious if this looks correct for a new GBB sling? We bought him a week ago and hes been eating just fine up until 2 days ago where since in his new enclosure there has been No webbing of any kind and he gets as high as possible in the container where he sits not moving most the day.
more/less humidity/watering? IdIve attempted to feed,he runs,I removed the cricket.
possible molt upcoming?
Any help appreciated.
this is my first GBB but ive had mt Chilean rose hair for close to 11years now.

Attachments

• 20150218_202050.jpg
    20150218_202050.jpg
    662.7 KB · Views: 127
  • 20150218_202040.jpg
    20150218_202040.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 20150218_202011.jpg
    20150218_202011.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 123

Poec54

3 Year Member
Too moist, they're from a dry region and need fairly dry substrate and decent ventilation. You should have a small plastic water bowl in there; I use the lids of 16 oz water bottles. From the size of the abdomen it should be eating, try switching out the substrate.

Lonewolf5503

3 Year Member
Oh ok. I was told when they are slings they need about 60-75 % humidity and as they mature cut it back to just one side being moist,then as completely adult keeptb it completely dry but with a water dish.

With switch it out. Thank you

Poec54

3 Year Member
Oh ok. I was told when they are slings they need about 60-75 % humidity and as they mature cut it back to just one side being moist,then as completely adult keeptb it completely dry but with a water dish.

With any species that need dry substrate as adults (Chromatopelma, east and south Africans, Aphonopelma from SW USA, Avicularia, etc) the slings need to be fairly dry too. They're in regions that don't stay wet for long (in the case of Avics, up in trees where's there's regular airflow). All of these genera can be killed by moist cages, even as slings.

I keep my Chromatopelma slings in the same dry conditions as my adult female. Water bowls provide the humidity. When the substrate is moist there's a lot more humidity in the cage, and they aren't getting breezes and sunshine to dry it out. Moist substrate suits the majority of tarantula species, since most of them come from higher rainfall areas.

Chromatopelma are known for their great appetites, and they grow at a good rate.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Didn't notice any ventilation on that cup, unless it was on the lid. Ventilation on the lid isn't ideal, cross ventilation is better

Latest posts