• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Confused about sling care.

new2tarantulas

3 Year Member
Ok so I was watching petcenterusa's videos on their website and they had one titles spiderling care and housing. I am confused because they said u need a microclimate. (aquarium with heat pads stuck to the back to keep the enclosure warm. then u place the babies inside the micro climate in small containers. Is this what you have to do for slings if u use central heat and air? Our house is around 70 degrees F.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I have never heard of using artificial heating sources for slings. That might be necessary when you're incubating eggs, but for sling care I don't think it's a must...unless you are keeping them in very cool conditions. I keep my two slings at room temperature (around the temp you mentioned) and they're fine.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
no, you do not need a micro climate. the same temps you keep your tarantula will be the same for their sling counter parts. but avoid heating pads or lights. you said you have central heating and AC so that will be fine. 70 is the low end of were I like to be but don't let the temps drop lower then say 65. otherwise invest in a space heater that is what I use to keep the heating cost of central air down, but still able to keep my T room nice and warm

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
well the problem with that is the only place I can keep them is my bedroom and I don't want my bedroom that hot lol

I only worry about low temps during the winter time so I meant to say use the space heater then, but like i said 70 degrees is fine, it when it starts getting in the low 60 is when it could be a problem

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
When I had mine in my bedroom I would turn the heater on when I woke up, and when I got home from work I'd turn it off. That way it some what gives them a sense of time if you would, and i wouldn't be burning my underside at night.

Eightleggedchris

3 Year Member
ive got my orange starburst baboon and mexican red knee slings in glass jars with many holes driled in the lids for ventilation both half filled with coco substrate and hides. I dont use heat pads as the from is 70 degrees. I dont mist them but I do put water droplets on the soil, glass sides (one side) and on top of the hide for them to drink. This set up seems to be working great. Both are eating, the baboon has moulted once and webbed his enclosure up a fair bit and the red knee has dug a burrow. I dont bother with micro climates and heat pads ect.

Hope this helps

BigTGirl93

3 Year Member
I have an LP sling and Chaco Sling, with plently of substrate and a hide in their tank, those little things borrow extremely deep in their tank. I keep my room and entire house at 75 degrees and all my T's are fine, eating healthy and one sling just molted. T's can adapt to climates very easily. But In the winter time, my room gets pretty chilly, so I have a small portable heater in my room anyway on low so that will help out my T's. Goodluck! :D

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
my slings all eat 2 or 3 times a week so I don't even give them water until they are in big enough enclosures to have water bowls. Only the species that really need the humidity get water on their substrate as slings, and even then it's only half of the enclosure. My OBT hated wet soil. He would start to climb the walls of his cage and hold out on the top of the enclosure. I quit wetting the soil and he seemed to fare better. Now he never comes out. :p

Latest posts