• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Condo Living Tarantula Enclosure

additude

So, I was thinking about purchasing a Repti Zoo 10 gal, 20x12x10 enclosure and adding an inside clear plexiglass divider or possibly two plexiglass dividers and then housing two or three specimens' side by side. I'd probably drill ventilation holes in them.
Any suggestions or thoughts on good idea? Bad idea? Considerations?
Thanks.

Attachments

• ReptiZoo20x12x10.jpg
    ReptiZoo20x12x10.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 3

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, I was thinking about purchasing a Repti Zoo 10 gal, 20x12x10 enclosure and adding an inside clear plexiglass divider or possibly two plexiglass dividers and then housing two or three specimens' side by side. I'd probably drill ventilation holes in them.
Any suggestions or thoughts on good idea? Bad idea? Considerations?
Thanks.
I would advise against doing that. It’s not impossible for one tarantula to make it’s way to the other side which will result in the death of all of the inhabitants of the enclosure, or one fat inhabitant.

additude

Thank You for the reply.
I'm not sure if I understand exactly how the tarantula would make its way to the other side if the plexiglass dividers were flush and secured to the inside of the enclosure and flush to the lid on top.
What about issues after time, cleaning concerns, re-homing, etc.

Egon

3 Year Member
I think the issue is of each section doesn’t have its own lid it’s easy for tarantulas to climb into their neighbor’s enclosure when you have the lid open.

Also it seems hard if not impossible to build a divider that’s flush with the top since aquariums have that black plastic rim. Unless you also made individual sliding lids that slotted under the plastic rim.

Nurse Ratchet

I've looked into it as well. I thinks it's possible, though many would say otherwise. You just need to be a little handy and take precautions.
You would need to make a custom cut lid that has separate openings on each side. The divider would need to be secured on all sides, bottom and the top. The top needs to be made of plexiglass or something else solid. This is because they can push up on screen or mesh lids, and even plexiglass has some give if it is not bonded to the divider panel. Any gaps between sections need to be filled in with silicone or foam. I would advise against vent holes in the divider unless they are too small for any feeders to get through. You don't want a feeder meant for one T to get over to another T if one is in premolt. You can have ventilation holes in the tops of course.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have never tried it, but I share PanzoN88 and Egon's concerns. Not only would separate enclosures be safer, but I think more manageable. I move my enclosures around sometimes to clean them, check on things.

I can easily place them elsewhere as needed. Things change and you may find yourself needing to change the enclosure's location to make room for more tarantulas.

A 10 gallon tank isn't as convenient. If it breaks or cracks and you have to rehouse two Ts.

What is the reason for doing this? Save money or space? I admit I had ever so briefly considered that too, but decided I lacked the physical skills and mental skills to outwit a tarantula bent on escaping.

But if you are up to it ( I believe Nurse Ratchet could do it) it is ultimately your decision.

Also, what type of tarantulas are you thinking about? Terrestrial or fossorial would require quite a bit of substrate.

Nurse Ratchet

Aww, thanks Dusty. <3
My thoughts were for full utilization of shelf space. My 31 inch shelves fit a 20 gallon long perfectly with no wasted space between tanks. But I really prefer front opening enclosures, so no dividers at this time.
I still say it could be done. I just don't want to anymore. Exo Terra spoiled me.

Tarantulafeets

If you are going to have to go through the work of adding plexyglass in the enclosure and adding separate lids to each side, I would just get three separate enclosures. I like the idea, but I wouldn't take the risk.

sunset

I like the idea too!! But that's just so much extra work. Lol I like the space saving idea and the diy of it all would keep me consumed for days, which is always fun, I like projects, but my self personally would probably find a way to make a mess of it all lmao. I would love to see if anyone has decided on trying it.

SpiderMike

3 Year Member
Did several of these some time back but since all T's concerned were adult females, I was dividing up three 20 gallon tanks, each split into three compartments (ergo 2 divide panels). Due to upper black plastic rim of tank, I did tailor each inner panel at the top edge for very tight fit because T's will occasionally test their domain and I'm sure would exploit any vulnerability so I was determined not to have that vulnerability. Had those set-ups for a good few years, no breakthroughs or pop-overs when the lid was off (which I kept as one panel in all cases) but I was/am extremely cautious in that regard.

Wind forward to now and a second stint with T's after maybe 8/9 years away and I'm only running one such tank amidst my current array, a 15 gallon that is approx 20L X 10W X 18H split into just two sections with two big female fossorials (C. hainanus and H. gigas). The height thus allows suitably deep substrate and both have followed through on preliminary burrows I'd started for them, the gigas excavating all the way round the bottom of her half such that I'm amazed the soil above hasn't collapsed down, although I did pack it and condense repeatedly during fill up. I didn't previously put vent holes in the divide panels but have done on this latest one.

Anyway, be very exacting and from my experience I think you'll be just fine.

Rehousing if/when you would need to again sounds inconvenient at best with such a setup. I suppose with adults that would be less of a concern, but I have had to rehouse adults before for various reasons. I'd be curious to see if it would work, but I think the amount of work it would take to make it secure would turn me off of wanting to do it personally.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds like others have done it, but for me, I like individual enclosures.

SpiderMike

3 Year Member
In my recent case of a tank split it was largely because I had a particular space to fill and this tank fit that space perfectly (see middle lower) but was bigger than I really needed for one arboreal (being tall) so I figured to split and use for the two fossorials.

Attachments

• MainGroup.jpg
    MainGroup.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 6

Latest posts