• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Concerned about Fred

Dayna G Adams

3 Year Member
Hello, new here. I have been unable to find information about a problem ....if it is a problem....im concerned about Fred, Texas brown wild. I found him last October and unexpectedly became a tarantula mama. He (if he's a he) is from the size is a juvenile. Since I've had him he has molted twice February and March, not since then. I feed him super worms, he has some strange bald patches that make me worried, not like when it's molting time, here are some pics, I want to do whatever it takes to keep him healthy. I have read and read and provide healthy safe home and good food clean water etc. Does anyone have a clue what these patches are? Should I be worried?

Attachments

• 20160716_210833.jpg
    20160716_210833.jpg
    571.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 20160716_210819.jpg
    20160716_210819.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 20

Dayna G Adams

3 Year Member
Thanks, I just haven't seen that....he's so wonderful and doesn't get agitated very much, but I guess I'm just worried because the patches were small and getting bigger. Of course I am not nearly as knowledgeable as fellows on here...guess I'm just a worried mom....thank you so much for responding, feel a bit better :)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Kymura's right, looks like it's been kicking hairs. Don't worry, we've all been in your shoes,but this is a great place to learn as there's always someone willing to answer your questions so don't be afraid to ask.

Dayna G Adams

3 Year Member
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your response, I just am anxious he hasn't molted since march and just want him to grow and get big...lol, he's really awesome

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nice looking little T, one of my favorites actually. We have a juvenile named Nestle'
So sweet. Hard not to love them.
Here's our baby (my daughter claims this one)
Think Nestle is to lazy to kick hairs. Sulking at the moment as she(?) just molted a few days ago and no doubt thinks her throat is cut.
image.jpeg

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like that one has been kicking a few hairs. They do it for a variety of reasons. Not just when they are stressed. Sometimes to defend their area or around a molt mat. Looks fat and sassy other then the little bald patches. :)
I am sure I have seen that description on certain dating sites.....lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you so much, I really appreciate your response, I just am anxious he hasn't molted since march and just want him to grow and get big...lol, he's really awesome
All looks normal to me and all comments already made are spot on. Welcome to the forum too. Great people her as you have already discovered.

Dayna G Adams

3 Year Member
Nice looking little T, one of my favorites actually. We have a juvenile named Nestle'
So sweet. Hard not to love them.
Here's our baby (my daughter claims this one)
Think Nestle is to lazy to kick hairs. Sulking at the moment as she(?) just molted a few days ago and no doubt thinks her throat is cut.
View attachment 17957
Very nice, thanks for sharing!

Telson

3 Year Member
When they kick hairs and make bald spots like that, it makes it easy to predict premolt:) instead of white skin, it will gradually turn dark until its black, then they molt. Just an fyi :) I have two females, wc, I was surprised at how much I like the local spiders, for some reason. They're gorgeous after a molt, and look like chalcodes when they fade.