• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Commercial enclosure options for Ts

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Exo Terra
I've been getting into DIY more lately for my grow-out tanks but for display tanks I'm partial to the Exo Terra Glass Natural Terrarium Nano (8"x8"x8") for terrestrials and Nano Tall (8"x8"x12") for aboreals. I like the option of having both front and top-opening options and have found them for less than $40 on several occasions. I bought the 8" cube version for $25 on sale.

ExoTeraNanoTall.jpgExoTeraNano.jpg

As we know, the screen used on this is an overlapping mesh which risks Ts getting snagged and potentially injured, hence the screen mod.

ReptiZoo
ReptiZoo makes similar enclosures (8"x8"x8" and 8"x8"x12") with EITHER top-opening only or front-opening only configurations. I have not tried one of these yet.

ReptiZooTallFront.jpgReptiZooTallTop.jpg I did not picture the smaller, cube in either configuration but you get the idea.

The quirk of the front-opening RZ is the top is fixed in place with 2 removable feeding ports up top. The screening on these is not overlapping, so no risk of toe, claw damage unlike the ET enclosures. The RZ enclosures sell for a bit more than ET and since I've been exclusive to ET so far I have not been following pricing on them, but they are about 20% more expensive on average, size for size.

Top vs Front Opening
The downfall to all of the front-opening enclosures is limited substrate depth which makes the top-opening ReptiZoo arractive for fossorials and obligate burrower juveniles and dwarfs.

Both of these companies claim stack-ability, ReptiZoo boasts it, but I have yet to see that as practical as feeding and maintenance would be hampered by stacking, but it's an option. All of these enclosures are made for frogs other reptiles and are watertight but of course they market these as being "perfect for tarantulas" which holds true unless cross ventilation is a must for your T.

Which commercial enclosures do you like and why? Please post pics!

Has anyone tried the ReptiZoo enclosures? What are you keeping it them, specifically the top opening version.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use these https://spidershop.pl/en/product/terrarium-20x20x30/ foe arboreals. They are the same size as the ExoTerra Nano but have better designed air vents (1 at the top near the back and 1 on the front below the door) and the guillotine style doors make for much safer maintenance as you can slide the door up far enough to top up water bowls without fear of an escapee.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use these https://spidershop.pl/en/product/terrarium-20x20x30/ foe arboreals. They are the same size as the ExoTerra Nano but have better designed air vents (1 at the top near the back and 1 on the front below the door) and the guillotine style doors make for much safer maintenance as you can slide the door up far enough to top up water bowls without fear of an escapee.
That enclosure is $12.60 US lol wonder how much shipping would be
Thanks!

AMAZING list of Ts there... I'm jealous

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like HerpCult stuff. Harder to find but I'm a sucker for the seamless acrylic look. Especially theirs bc they have magnetic clasps and ventilation and they're STACKABLE
Harder to afford than find lol

Wish they had something in between the small and large, size and price-wise
Thanks for the info!

shaun

3 Year Member
They are so cheap! A tenner, compared to 40quid for an exo terra!
Hoping that the postage is reasonable.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They are so cheap! A tenner, compared to 40quid for an exo terra!
Hoping that the postage is reasonable.

As you're in the UK they will courier them by van and you can order Ts on the same order and they come free, leaving Poland on Fridays and arriving at your address Sat or Sun all snug in a warm van.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Amazing, don't know how they make a profit!

They make them themselves. If you look at sites of other EU keepers may of them use the same containers. TSS in the UK started buying them in and selling them but they charged more than twice the price plus an awful lot of postage on top.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They make them themselves. If you look at sites of other EU keepers may of them use the same containers. TSS in the UK started buying them in and selling them but they charged more than twice the price plus an awful lot of postage on top.
Spidershop Poland won't ship to US, so it's a done deal for now unless I can get a local US importer to bring them in flat (vs assembled)

shaun

3 Year Member
Just checked their list ( might as well order something that moves a little, as well as the enclosure) but nothing on my shopping list, might get a g.p. , they are so velvety soft ( looking)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Spidershop Poland won't ship to US, so it's a done deal for now unless I can get a local US importer to bring them in flat (vs assembled)
Hi
Shipping glass at that distance is gonna be nightmare anyway.You most likely will get pile of broken glass.
I will second @Enn49 get them made.Glass shop or aquarium manufacturer should be able to do it quite easy and cheap
Regards Konstantin

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just checked their list ( might as well order something that moves a little, as well as the enclosure) but nothing on my shopping list, might get a g.p. , they are so velvety soft ( looking)

I'd check with him about cost of courier before you order. You pay the shop for the Ts but pay the Courier when they deliver.

shaun

3 Year Member
I'd check with him about cost of courier before you order. You pay the shop for the Ts but pay the Courier when they deliver.
I see, will check it out. Cheers

timc

3 Year Member
Herpcult’s arbroeal jawns are top opening. Not ideal for tarantulas. I have one and i’m only still using it because I paid for it lol

Latest posts