• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cobalt blue webbed itself off

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Shes fine...in almost 40 years of raising tarantulas I've never had one stuck to a screen top. A ventral shot of her abdomen (the part that usually touches the ground) can give us a idea what she is.

Benttwig

Shes fine...in almost 40 years of raising tarantulas I've never had one stuck to a screen top. A ventral shot of her abdomen (the part that usually touches the ground) can give us a idea what she is.
Ok thank you for the advice. Shes already down and webbed herself off in the corner of the tank(of course she didnt use the burrow I made). If ever I get a shot of her up against the glass I'll post it for your opinion. Shes still hasn't eaten. Is it still likely due to a molt even though shes 5 inches? Not sure how often if at all a cobalt blue will molt after 5 inches as I have read 5 is their max size.(still learning)

Benttwig

Older tarantulas go along time without eating before a molt. Just keep the water bowl full.
Ok will do. I took a few pics of her underside just now since she was roaming. Any guesses as to whether its actually a she? Or are these pics too unclear?

Attachments

• 20190315_214850.jpg
    20190315_214850.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5

Nunua

3 Year Member
Ok will do. I took a few pics of her underside just now since she was roaming. Any guesses as to whether its actually a she? Or are these pics too unclear?

Impossible to say from such angle. What you need for ventral sexing is a photo like this :)

411e5c97c7.png

I circled the area that should be as clear and sharp as possible, because that's where the epigastric furrow is.

Last edited:

Benttwig

Impossible to say from such angle. What you need for ventral sexing is a photo like this :)

411e5c97c7.png

I circled the area that should be as clear and sharp as possible, because that's where the epigastric furrow is.
Ok thanks il try to get a better angle. The circled area is a little more rounded in a female correct? Or at least I think that's what i read when i googled it

Benttwig

Just an update. She finally took a cricket last night so I guess its not in premolt. I assume it was just stressed out from all the commotion from the expo, rehousing and then another rehouse on top of that. She has yet to make a burrow though. She dug a shallow spot in the corner right behind where I made her a cork bark burrow. She went in the burrow I made her for a night, walled herself off and then came back out and hasn't used it since. There was no molt in there from what I could see. I sunk the cork bark into the coco fiber and she keeps trying to dig right above where its sunk in so the bark is blocking any further digging. She started digging in another area that was free of any obstacles blocking her way but then filled it back in and went back to the corner she cant burrow in. Was thinking about taking out the cork bark to free up the area for burrowing but i dont think it's a good idea to disturb her anymore especially since shes finally starting to eat. Any suggestions?

Latest posts