• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

C'mon man

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My current "Cmon man!" issue is the fact that my spider room has been infested by common house spiders. Two species:

Some sort of Pholcidae sp. and Steoda sp. There are lots of nooks and crannies in my room and I used to keep the blinds drawn to minimize the light in the room. All of a sudden I noticed several webs in the room. Panic was my first reaction as I assumed somehow I missed an egg sac? After inspecting the enclosures I realized that it must just be a coincidence and that I had some local house spiders. Sneaing in at night with the flash light revealed a total infestation! I have spent the last several weeks breaking down tanks and moving my rack units out vaccuuming amd dusting constantly. Even have to remove them from my T enclosures :mad: I have removed hundreds! Getting much better but I must be missing a few every time I attack and they hatch dozens of babies with each sac missed.

My wife is convinced that they are coming from miles away to live in the presence of my infamous spider room :confused:.

Anyone else ever have this problem?

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't have a spider room, they're in the living room, but we've had lots of house spiders (Tegenaria sp.) in our house this year. It started with the males looking for mates and they're quite big themselves. Then it seemed to have been the even larger females moving on after laying their egg sacks and now there's a lot a tiny one, maybe the slings. Because they are house spiders there's not much point in throwing them outside, so I just let them be or move them into the hall cupboard. I can't bring myself to kill them, I like all spiders.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My current "Cmon man!" issue is the fact that my spider room has been infested by common house spiders. Two species:

Some sort of Pholcidae sp. and Steoda sp. There are lots of nooks and crannies in my room and I used to keep the blinds drawn to minimize the light in the room. All of a sudden I noticed several webs in the room. Panic was my first reaction as I assumed somehow I missed an egg sac? After inspecting the enclosures I realized that it must just be a coincidence and that I had some local house spiders. Sneaing in at night with the flash light revealed a total infestation! I have spent the last several weeks breaking down tanks and moving my rack units out vaccuuming amd dusting constantly. Even have to remove them from my T enclosures :mad: I have removed hundreds! Getting much better but I must be missing a few every time I attack and they hatch dozens of babies with each sac missed.

My wife is convinced that they are coming from miles away to live in the presence of my infamous spider room :confused:.

Anyone else ever have this problem?
Nope. I'll get a few phidipus audax every year, which I give free run of my bedroom, I even feed them moths from my porch light occasionally:) I just consider them part of my collection :) But an infestation, I'd have to wipe out. I love all spiders as well, but they ain't taking over my bedroom..I'd have to be seriously weird to let that keep going on. I'm only slightly weird. :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree. It got so bad that I had webs everywhere behind my shelf units and in the bookshelves. I don't mind sharing my space but this was out of control. And when they invade my enclosures, it became was. I was amazed at how the little spiderlings could stress the bigger T's and even scorpions! .

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree. It got so bad that I had webs everywhere behind my shelf units and in the bookshelves. I don't mind sharing my space but this was out of control. And when they invade my enclosures, it became was. I was amazed at how the little spiderlings could stress the bigger T's and even scorpions! .
I've seen videos of spider infestations but never actually witnessed it firsthand. You must be keeping your own spiders in a perfect environment:T: So you could actually consider it a compliment;) A messy compliment, like a cat bringing you a dead mouse...but still..:D

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen videos of spider infestations but never actually witnessed it firsthand. You must be keeping your own spiders in a perfect environment:T: So you could actually consider it a compliment;) A messy compliment, like a cat bringing you a dead mouse...but still..:D

Thank you Mass. I think this is going to be a long battle.... :(

Payden King

3 Year Member
My frustrating moment is that for some reason 3 out of my 4 G. roseas poop all over. It's so bad. Like almost as bad as my Avic. Like why do you have to poop so much?! I mean I guess they are healthy and digesting correctly if they poop so much but holy crap. And... My OBT has a fascination with building her web in her water dish so I can't refill it and have to give her a new one all the time because she is constantly webbing up her water dish. Ahh.

But as mentioned... I love them and all their flaws :T:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My frustrating moment is that for some reason 3 out of my 4 G. roseas poop all over. It's so bad. Like almost as bad as my Avic. Like why do you have to poop so much?! I mean I guess they are healthy and digesting correctly if they poop so much but holy crap. And... My OBT has a fascination with building her web in her water dish so I can't refill it and have to give her a new one all the time because she is constantly webbing up her water dish. Ahh.

But as mentioned... I love them and all their flaws :T:
Lol, my obts do the same thing..

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My oooppsss! moment was when I was moving an enclosure and carelessly held it at the lid. By murphy's law, the lid popped and down goes the sling enclosure almost a foot down to the table spilling substrate with the little sling burrowing underneath it all. And it happened to be a replacement of one sling that was DOA. Fortunately, the lil one survived the magnitude 10 rumble. :eek::):p

Roo

3 Year Member
Get lavender earth tiger in a random selection, looks really pretty.. Webs itself into it's hide and only sticks a leg out from time to time. The cobalt blues are out more :D

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My oooppsss! moment was when I was moving an enclosure and carelessly held it at the lid. By murphy's law, the lid popped and down goes the sling enclosure almost a foot down to the table spilling substrate with the little sling burrowing underneath it all. And it happened to be a replacement of one sling that was DOA. Fortunately, the lil one survived the magnitude 10 rumble. :eek::):p
Oh, I had a D'Oh! moment, too:
I'd just refilled my GBB's water dish. A couple of minutes later I checked on the little guy/girl and notices it was stumbling around, falling over and spinning. Oh sh@t! It looked like what people describe DKS to be like. I was nearly in tears, panicking that I was going to lose my GBB when my non-spider loving husband told me to show him the spider. He took one look at it and then said:"You trapped its foot under the lid and it's trying to get free". Ouch!! I removed the lid and the GBB walks away looking slightly p#ssed, but perfectly fine otherwise. I offered my husband all my Ts, because he's obviously more suited to look after them, but he said no, lol.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My C,mon man moment is each time I get a G rosea it looks way different than the others one I have:mad:
That's no bullsh*t..I've seen brown, with a bronze looking carapace, grey with a grey/pink striped carapace, red with a pink carapace...I just think of them all as roseas. I have a big pretty grey female that's obviously what they're calling a porteri, but I personally believe its all just slightly different color forms, caused by the environment particular to where each one originated from, or the parents anyway. I could be wrong, it could be age maybe? But it's just not that important to me I guess..a rosea is a rosea to me. They're all cool spiders. Someone told me once that red color forms can be mixed in a predominantly grey or brown color form sac. It's all very frustrating if you get to looking too closely:D I had this conversation with a youtuber once, he was pretty frustrated as well. Tarantula taxonomy sucks.

Fleas

3 Year Member
That's no bullsh*t..I've seen brown, with a bronze looking carapace, grey with a grey/pink striped carapace, red with a pink carapace...I just think of them all as roseas. I have a big pretty grey female that's obviously what they're calling a porteri, but I personally believe its all just slightly different color forms, caused by the environment particular to where each one originated from, or the parents anyway. I could be wrong, it could be age maybe? But it's just not that important to me I guess..a rosea is a rosea to me. They're all cool spiders. Someone told me once that red color forms can be mixed in a predominantly grey or brown color form sac. It's all very frustrating if you get to looking too closely:D I had this conversation with a youtuber once, he was pretty frustrated as well. Tarantula taxonomy sucks.
I've been trying to get a breeding pear of RCF g rosea and the male looks way different than my female I have and am not a big fan of hybridization. I don't know why I thought G rosea will be good practice for breeding maybe it was the price on them

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've been trying to get a breeding pear of RCF g rosea and the male looks way different than my female I have and am not a big fan of hybridization. I don't know why I thought G rosea will be good practice for breeding maybe it was the price on them
I would try to find good videos of breeders on youtube, try and compare them that way..mature males often look different than females in coloration. I believe theres a couple good videos on roseas pairing, good video quality, I mean. If you start reading all the threads and papers on taxonomy it's going to drive you crazy, lmao. They don't speak normal english..I will say, my male looked much like my female before he started aging, then his carapace turned from very pink to bronzish/brown looking..he was approaching the end though.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Adding another c'mon man moment. My new P antinous just snatched a roach and won't come out of her hide still...she went right back in with it. While I've come to expect this from spiders, especially ones who just came through fed ex from Alabama, I'm still getting frustrated..she's gorgeous, still a juvie, and a little small in the abdomen for my taste (which is why I fed her so soon), I just want to get a good shot of her so I can show her off...she has a small bald spot, like many do from coming through the mail and getting seriously aggravated, but she's a beauty nonetheless. Took an adult male dubia down like a boss and left me holding a wing..:eek:

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Oh, I had a D'Oh! moment, too:
I'd just refilled my GBB's water dish. A couple of minutes later I checked on the little guy/girl and notices it was stumbling around, falling over and spinning. Oh sh@t! It looked like what people describe DKS to be like. I was nearly in tears, panicking that I was going to lose my GBB when my non-spider loving husband told me to show him the spider. He took one look at it and then said:"You trapped its foot under the lid and it's trying to get free". Ouch!! I removed the lid and the GBB walks away looking slightly p#ssed, but perfectly fine otherwise. I offered my husband all my Ts, because he's obviously more suited to look after them, but he said no, lol.
hahahaha! Classic

timc

3 Year Member
So today is the day my blue fang gets a new enclosure, which is big enough for his old enclosure to fit into. I carefully place it in there and remove the lid. He's not in his hide. Awesome. So I wait patiently for 45 minutes while he doesn't move at all...ooook no big deal. Finally he starts moving and realizes there's no lid. Progress. He does two slow laps around his place which is his usual pre-break out routine. Sweet almost there. Aaaaand he goes straight underground where I can't get to him. C'mon man!

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Finally transfer Pokie into new container (after chasing it up my arm) new container has a piece of cork bark, figure arboreal spiderling jungle gym!

Arboreal Sling Burrows in substrate....

C'mon man!

Latest posts