• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Club Avicularia/Avics

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Martin
Just some advice and some of my own personal experience personally and in the zoos. Heat fans be careful as the fans have the tendency to stop working but the heater remains causing the plastic to melt and can burn down your house bud!! As to pannel heaters they are good but just to push heat up a little during winter . Remember heat mats on one side of the glass works best as this allows thermal regulation and the tarantula can move to where it feels comfortable, but if u have one ambient temperature hearing the while room that will result as stress and the arboreal cannot go too a cooler area in vivarium. Terrestrial dig and the deeper the peat and moist it becomes cool for them but not for arboreal .
Ah I haven't used fan heaters in ages, didn't realize they are dangerous I use the air con to keep the temperature in a certain range. So I thought that might help him, since not everyone can use air conditioning. I know that recently I saw fan heaters with cut out switches were they some of those that caused issues ?

entomology

3 Year Member
Fan heaters are so dangerous u cannot believe !!! U will burn ur house down. Use a oil heater with humidifier in winter just to keep room temp to around 19 degrees and let the heat mats on the side do it's job as then the tarantula can move to where it feels comfy.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fan heaters are so dangerous u cannot believe !!! U will burn ur house down. Use a oil heater with humidifier in winter just to keep room temp to around 19 degrees and let the heat mats on the side do it's job as then the tarantula can move to where it feels comfy.
Ryan try the proposed method from entomology, if they are as dangerous as he says don't risk it not worth it. I was pretty lucky then, and I'm glad I've switched to an air con.

entomology

3 Year Member
Arboreal a mar goes on the side and same for terrestrial never at the bottom because when a terrestrial gets hot he digs and goes down and with a heater down on the bottom can cause stress, dehydration and death.

Jake (Cascade)

3 Year Member
They would not sell fan heaters if they were so life threatening, what I know about them is they do use a fair amount of power, but they do take the chill out the air.

All depending on how many spiders you have to heat there is a couple of methods one can use.
If you got a whole room of spiders then heating the room is more cost effect than buying a heating pad for every cage.
if you only have 2 or 10 spiders buying a couple of heating pads and sharing them between your spider cages will work.
If you have space, buy a snake cage or glass tank and install a heating pad on the one side and place your spiders inside the cage or tank and you have a small heating box.

It is advisable to run your heating pads off a thermostat for safety, as heating pads do tend to short out just keeps getting hotter.

ryan johnson

3 Year Member
Ok so I haven't fed my juvenile a. Avic for three days. And I am going to feed her today. Do you think she will attack and eat her pray?

entomology

3 Year Member
@ Jake I've worked in zoos and we used them before and all burnt out at least 20-30 of them so I think I know better considering that's in my field /line of work I know better and speak from experience here. For example do they sell "cars"that are not life threatening? Am sure allot can go wrong with a car and cause the death of a life.

Like u said fake advice from people on this forum . I have more experience in zoos and parks and we used heater fans before and they no good trust me or take the chance. Dnt believe me call Craig Allenby director of Nzg ( Pretoria zoo) a good friend and old colleague and he will confirm. I don't just suck this "@#*!" from my thumb it is the truth. Be open minded and realize u probably used one fan heater or 2 . I've seen plenty fail!!!

As for the foil covered heat mats they work well and don't short out as they only come at 15 and 24 watts so also well insulated and on all the years I've never had one that has malfunctioned or stopped working. The ones to stay away from is the "fancy plastic" ones as they have been known to short out or over heat and burn down entire rooms and collections. Pls be specific on hear mats and give correct information.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts