• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cleaning Water Dishes Constantly

Sarah.Eileen

I have a general question regarding water dish cleaning for my slings (curly hair, rose hair, & salmon pink birdeater).

You all know the cycle, clean out the tiny dish, put fresh water in, and within about an hour its full of dirt again from the little architects.

I usually clean the dish and replace the water each morning as part of my routine. Is this not frequent enough (do they need fresh water ASAP)? Too frequent (am I stressing them out)?

I would love some feedback!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Its one of those tarantula things unfortunately.
They don't need the water asap.You can leave it for few days.They can have a drink from the wet substrate arround the dish.Lets say I feed mine and refill the water.If you refill it constantly you can easily end up with too much moisture in the substrate depending on the size of the enclosure and stuffy conditions.
As I type this 3 of my 6 Tliltocatl albopilosus are filling their dishes with dirt after me cleaning them 30 min ago.
Regards Konstantin

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have multiple water dishes so that I can easily swap out a water dish but the only time I consider cleaning a water dish urgent is when they've dropped the bolus in it or they pooped in it. Nobody wants to drink from that junk water.

Wet substrate or moss serve as hydration opportunities so for my dumb dumbs that fill their water dishes with substrate, I assume that's what they prefer and I just clean and refill it on my next cycle

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one little T that always fills it's water bowl with substrate and sits on it. I thought I'd solved the problem by adding a 2nd bowl of fresh water but it has now started to fill that too and sits over both.

Latest posts