• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Churn butter!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Churning your own butter is super easy, lots of fun, much healthier than store-bought and can save you money. Once it's made it can be pressed into molds (e.g., cookie tins) and refrigerated to solidify.

1 cup heavy whipping cream (preferably organic)
Salt to taste (optional)
1-qt. glass jar with lid
Fine mesh strainer
Paper towels
Large cutting board
Large rubber spatula
Butter knife
Spoon

1. Place the cream in a covered container and leave it out at room temperature for about 24 hours. This will allow the cream to ripen and reach a temperature appropriate for churning (about 60 F is ideal).

2. Pour the cream into the glass jar and secure the lid. Shake constantly for about 30 minutes. If your arms get tired you can pass the jar around to others...just make sure it is being constantly agitated.

3. After churning, open up the jar and carefully pour off as much as buttermilk as possible. It can be used later for baking or drunk straight up (delicious!). You will be left with a lump of soft butter.

4. Press one layer of paper towels in the bottom of the strainer and moisten thoroughly with cold water. Pour the lump of butter into the strainer and rinse the butter in cold water (gentle stream or shower).

5. Transfer the rinsed butter onto the cutting board. The next step is to use the rubber spatula to "work" the butter, folding it back onto itself. This will release the leftover liquid, which should then be carefully poured off little by little into the sink (don't lose the butter!). This process takes several minutes and should be continued until the butter is no longer excreting liquid as it is worked. Scrape butter off the spatula periodically with a butter knife so it doesn't get wasted.

6. Add salt, if desired. You should salt a little at a time and test-taste it as you go until you reach a happy medium, since salt can be always be added but not removed! (You can also add honey to make honey butter.) Work the butter again to combine.

7. Using a spoon, gently press the butter into any sort of container. (I use silicone-rubber muffin tins with a leaf-and-pumpkin design for fall. The rubber makes it easy to pop the butter out after it is chilled.) It doesn't matter what kind of container you use, but avoid one that is too deep as it will be difficult to remove the butter without breaking it. A finished lump of butter is called a "pat".

8. Refrigerate until solid.

Homemade butter is much less messy than store-bought; it come off dishes easily with just a stream of hot water. It also tastes fantastic! Enjoy. :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow, are you a chef ? I don't use butter unless its already in something, cos I'm miles to lazy to cook anything.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
No, definitely not a chef! And I don't cook much either. :p But my family is very interested in self-sufficiency and I really got into butter-churning once I discovered how easy it was.

Latest posts