• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Changing terrariums

helenaoskars

I have two Venezuelan Suntigers that currently live in what I like to call “temporary housing”. (Something medium sized so they have room to move without drowning.) My “grown up”-terrariums is the Exo Terra Mini Tall. I have changed the tops, put in plenty of substrate and more than a few hiding places. My question to all you knowledgeable people is: how big should they be before I transfer them into their forever homes? They are about 5-6 cm across right now..

Attachments

• IMG_9418.jpeg
    IMG_9418.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7

GarField000

3 Year Member
I always use a middle size in between so the change is not so big.
Like the Nano Tall
Dimensions (WxDxH)
20 X 20 X 30 cm
8 X 8 X 12 "

From that small to the big one is a huge step. It is possible, but the problem will be feeding.

helenaoskars

I always use a middle size in between so the change is not so big.
Like the Nano Tall
Dimensions (WxDxH)
20 X 20 X 30 cm
8 X 8 X 12 "

From that small to the big one is a huge step. It is possible, but the problem will be feeding.
I suppose we could look for a size in between these two. Buying the nano tall, and then new tops again + all content will take a long time (+things are very expensive in Norway).

Thank you for answering, I will find something that is in between the two in size

GarField000

3 Year Member
I use the cheap version off the exo for in between as they are expensive here in holland 2 :).
It was just for showing size.
I use the cheap ones with a drop down door where you don't have to change the top etc.
I bought them for 20 euro or something.

Not sure if you have some shop over there for these.
I don't like them, but they are cheap and a good in between sollution.

helenaoskars

I use the cheap version off the exo for in between as they are expensive here in holland 2 :).
It was just for showing size.
I use the cheap ones with a drop down door where you don't have to change the top etc.

Thank you for the tip, I will look for it :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I put my Dolichothele Diamantinensis into one of these very recently. I brought mine, together with two other smaller glass enclosures, off someone for £25 & in the UK they can be brought from The Spider Shop for £36.
https://thespidershop.co.uk/product/20-x-20-x-30/

helenaoskars

I put my Dolichothele Diamantinensis into one of these very recently. I brought mine, together with two other smaller glass enclosures, off someone for £25 & in the UK they can be brought from The Spider Shop for £36.
https://thespidershop.co.uk/product/20-x-20-x-30/
This one has mesh on top, I can’t use a terrarium with mesh on top with my spiders. They’ll hurt themselves. When adding the new custom lids (I’ll have to buy two), it gets complicated..

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This one has mesh on top, I can’t use a terrarium with mesh on top with my spiders. They’ll hurt themselves. When adding the new custom lids (I’ll have to buy two), it gets complicated..

The band of mesh across the top of the glass enclosures from TSS is very different from the mesh fitted to Exo Terra enclosures. It is a larger mesh & one that no T will not get it's tarsal claws caught in.

Also the TSS enclosures have the mesh permanently fitted in place. The front opens. So the top cannot be replaced.

Latest posts