• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ceratogyrus horn structure

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Ever wondered what the inside of a Ceratogyrus horn looks like? Here is a Ceratogyrus brachycephalus. Pics were taken with USB microscope, so may not be the best, but hopefully you can make it out. Basically, the inside is a hollow tube-like structure.

Outside view:

Inside view:

Side-on view:

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Took some pics of my darlingi and marshalli too and the extension of the horn into the carapace is much shorter than in brachycephalus. So short, that if I have to take a side on pic, it doesn't extend below the curve of the carapace.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Crazy photos! Thanks for sharing. What kind of camera do you use to get that detail?

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Crazy photos! Thanks for sharing. What kind of camera do you use to get that detail?

I used a USB microscope which is why they are a little out of focus. Was hoping to get much better pics actually, but suppose those show enough detail.