• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cause of broken fang

goldenpumpkin

My mature male has recently broken off a fang. It has been reduced to barely even a nub :( I am trying to narrow down what could have caused this. I'm wracking my brain but can't seem to figure out what happened. Here's a list of the things I've already ruled out and why:
•biting tongs (I don't own tongs)
•caught on mesh (there is no mesh on his enclosure)
•injured in molt (his ultimate molt happened before I even got him, and this fang has only been broken off for at most a few days)
•feeding too soon after molt (refer to previous bullet point)
I'll also note that he does not bite or chew on random stuff such as his enclosure or other hard objects. Just soft feeders such as waxworms and crickets. Not even a bug with a crazy hard shell or anything. This leaves me to ask, is this just something that happens to really old tarantulas? Is the culprit just old age, or could something else have happened?

Tarantulafeets

Possibly could have been biting the ventilation holes roaming around searching for a female, that's how my female lp chipped her fang. Not sure why she does it, but there's no way I can really stop her to continue doing it. But it definitely doesn't just happen randomly, or because of old age.

x_raphael_xx

Possibly could have been biting the ventilation holes roaming around searching for a female, that's how my female lp chipped her fang. Not sure why she does it, but there's no way I can really stop her to continue doing it. But it definitely doesn't just happen randomly, or because of old age.
That was one of my worries when I spotted my s.santa catalina doing something similar, luckily she's stopped now.
I assume she was just investigating her new enclosure.

goldenpumpkin

Ohh I'm sure you're right. I guess it makes sense that he's be trying to chew his way through the holes... thank you for your response!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Does it really pay off though? Haha
You'll think differently when Tarantula Houdini dips out from behind your chair
20211109_191321.jpg