• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Caribena versicolor sling worries

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I got a new Caribena versicolor sling yesterday. I am extra anxious as my last one died so I wanted to check whether this set-up is okay? I have an Avicularia Peru purple and Ybyrapora diversipes who seem to have grown well in the last few months in the same set-up. However TSS have changed the plastic containers they sell, so I have noticed these new ones seem to get condensation easier with the same amount of vent holes. I am really concerned about this causing the stagnant conditions that kill versis. So I am wondering do I need to put more holes in round the other sides or at the top? It is going to be hard to melt them into the top especially, with her in there. I have taken the moss (that was in there) out of the bottom now but the condensation at the top is coming from the live moss I put in there for her to web on. I never mist them, they have a water bowl in and I dampen the substrate a bit every few weeks. I sometimes do put a few drops of water on their webbing for them to drink from as an alternative to the water bowl. I have seen them drink both from those drops, and one from the water bowl.

My versi Nevele is at the top right.

DSC02492 - Copy.JPG
DSC02493 - Copy.JPG
DSC02494 - Copy.JPG

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello friend,
The condensation is not good. You need venting on the top and on the other side of the cup to allow cross ventilation but definitely do NOT add holes while the sling is in there. The toxic fumes from the melted plastic could be very harmful. Prepare a new cup that you could place in a well ventilated area then relocate/rehouse the sling. A nice water dish should provide plenty of humidity.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hello friend,
The condensation is not good. You need venting on the top and on the other side of the cup to allow cross ventilation but definitely do NOT add holes while the sling is in there. The toxic fumes from the melted plastic could be very harmful. Prepare a new cup that you could place in a well ventilated area then relocate/rehouse the sling. A nice water dish should provide plenty of humidity.

Okay, thanks very much! I have the venting all down both opposite sides of the cup, not sure if that is clear in the picture. Do I need the venting to go all the way around?

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you have ventilation on both side you will need top ventilation to help get rid of the condensation. Is the cup in a well ventilated area?
I have a shop fan on a schedule to blow air throughout the space for 30 minutes every 2 hours.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
If you have ventilation on both side you will need top ventilation to help get rid of the condensation. Is the cup in a well ventilated area?
I have a shop fan on a schedule to blow air throughout the space for 30 minutes every 2 hours.

Hi, thanks. It is in my most ventilated room; the other enclosures have never had condensation, except for the ones made out of this plastic. I didn't have another of these cups spare anyway so I have used a smaller one which is a different plastic again, but I figured that might be for the best as she is pretty small. The holes are now in the top, then front and back sides with a few extra on the other sides to hopefully be on the safe side (she is hiding behind the white flower). The water bowl is in there somewhere. I have also moved my Avic metallica Maisy into one of these too (third pic) >

DSC02499 - Copy.JPG

DSC02501 - Copy.JPG
DSC02505 - Copy.JPG

Spiders&Snakes

Hi, thanks. It is in my most ventilated room; the other enclosures have never had condensation, except for the ones made out of this plastic. I didn't have another of these cups spare anyway so I have used a smaller one which is a different plastic again, but I figured that might be for the best as she is pretty small. The holes are now in the top, then front and back sides with a few extra on the other sides to hopefully be on the safe side (she is hiding behind the white flower). The water bowl is in there somewhere. I have also moved my Avic metallica Maisy into one of these too (third pic) >

View attachment 54319

View attachment 54320View attachment 54321
I'm exciting to be sharing this journey with you!

I will post my pics on Friday afternoon with my setup and sling inside!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually start the enclosure a re days before adding the T, for the condensation reason you showed.

I vent avic sling enclosures all the way around, and just near the top, but not on the to itself. This allows some humidity to be retained and the T to find its own level of humidity.
IMG_20200501_122451.jpg
IMG_20200422_144529.jpg

Like yours, these have been successful for me. More substrate holds more moisture. Hint hint

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I usually start the enclosure a re days before adding the T, for the condensation reason you showed.

I vent avic sling enclosures all the way around, and just near the top, but not on the to itself. This allows some humidity to be retained and the T to find its own level of humidity.
View attachment 54338View attachment 54340

Like yours, these have been successful for me. More substrate holds more moisture. Hint hint

Thanks! Argh, it looks like everyone has their own avic methods even now the husbandry of avics is meant to be solved/simple. Trying to hold in some humidity was why I hadn't put holes in the top in the first place. But then other people say that in captivity Avics do best with it completely dry, not like in their natural habitat. I have also seen several people say that humidity does not matter at all and Tom Moran mentioned on his podcast how humidity has become a dirty word in the tarantula community... lol. So now we seem to have consensus of no misting, no stagnant conditions, good ventilation. However there still seems to be argument as to whether we either do dry, or create some air humidity via damp substrate, damp moss.

I have actually got some vermiculite on the bottom of my avic enclosures as it's meant to hold more moisture without going mouldy... who knows whether I've got that right :p

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
I keep my C versis in similar enclosures.
Dry substrate with waterdish and good ventilation does the trick for me.I have seen them drink out of their dishes but they will benefit if you put few frops of water on their web now and then especially when nearing a moult. I use syringe as opposed to spray bottle.

Regards Konstantin

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi
I keep my C versis in similar enclosures.
Dry substrate with waterdish and good ventilation does the trick for me.I have seen them drink out of their dishes but they will benefit if you put few frops of water on their web now and then especially when nearing a moult. I use syringe as opposed to spray bottle.

Regards Konstantin

Thanks! Yes I use a pipette to put a few droplets on the web now and then :)

Latest posts