• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Carapace "indent/notch/etc"?

Ibnhamar

Hey all! Still relatively new to hobby, and my Xenesthis sp. Bright just molted to the largest size I've raised a T up to thus far - I'm horrible at guesstimating inches, but probably at least 5.5 DLS or more. Anywho, it's emerged from it's den after about a week or so, and I noticed a sort of indent/dip that's "pushed in" on it's carapace. It seems to be fine, but I don't know whether this is natural/normal to T's, or just a bit of sustained molt damage or something. Even if it is, it may very well be harmless, it seems to be behaving normally. Just wanted to know if any other hobbyists are used to this happening on occasion, or if it's normal physiologically.

Was a bit hard to capture in a picture like I can see the extent of it in person (per usual), but:

Ibnhamar

Can't seem to be able to get an image to an uploadable size that isn't blurry, let's see if this works -

Attachments

• IMG_8702 (1).jpg
    IMG_8702 (1).jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 18
If you are talking about the dent looking thing in the middle of the carapace, that is perfectly normal. Many large t species have that. Unless we are seeing different things here, look up pictures of Theraphosa and Pamphobeteus, they tend to have that dent thing.

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member