• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

can someone please identify this?

adam

3 Year Member
wanted to keep this guy as a pet. i know almost nothing about tarantulas. would like to know what kind this is

adam

3 Year Member
1232372_1621596891427914_185121063_n.jpg

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
SOrry cant see those pics. they are broken images. u can also go online to see what conditions u need to keep the little guy in. and possibly get an ID. bu try posting those pics again.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thinking it might be a male Aphonopelma chalcodes. if it was out walking around it probably was looking for a mate. and if it is mature then it will not have long to live....if it was me i would let it go so it can do its duty since u probably wont have it long before it dies. find a smaller tarantula. or even order a cheap spiderling from a breeder after doing lots and lots of research...thats my thoughts.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not sure if chalcodes is found in New Mexico. Then again I could be wrong.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm going to have to agree with Entity, most likely a mature male A chalcodes...but there are a few other species in that area if I remember correctly..been awhile since I read about it..but you should be able to ID it fairly easy online..if it's a MM, I'd recommend letting it go as well, it will just climb the sides of its enclosure looking for a female, restless and unhappy. You''l find much greater pleasure in raising a captive bred spiderling, and if it turns out male, by that time you'll probably be looking for a female to buy anyway :) Very addictive hobby, I hope you'll consider it. Good luck either way.

Fleas

3 Year Member
What part of new Mexico it might be a Aphonopelma behlei, beautiful I agree with everybody just let it go most likely it a mature male looking for a female. If you want a tarantula I know a breeder/seller in Albuquerque if you like to get in the hobby

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Am from new Mexico and I've been trying to get t's that are from here and I'll tell you it's not easy to find them.:(
I'm having the same difficulties in south Texas...I just want a male and female Anax or Hentzi...they don't want me to find them apparently..but it's raining so my fingers are crossed.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
ironic...it is easier to get ones on the other side of the world than the ones that r in ur own state...lol...funny.
I know right? I used to see them all the time before I got in the hobby...now, nada. I saw one male, but didn't have a female so I let him go and do his thing. Strange thing, he was a hentzi, which are burrowers, but he was in the top of a low mesquite bush, next to my horses. They must have scared him, I guess :eek:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know right? I used to see them all the time before I got in the hobby...now, nada. I saw one male, but didn't have a female so I let him go and do his thing. Strange thing, he was a hentzi, which are burrowers, but he was in the top of a low mesquite bush, next to my horses. They must have scared him, I guess :eek:
unless he was on the prowl for some ladies.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
unless he was on the prowl for some ladies.
Yeah believe me, I searched the area thoroughly in case there was one around.. No dice. But there could have been one with a burrow down near the roots of that mesquite, but I'd have had to clear a path with a chainsaw to get to it..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah believe me, I searched the area thoroughly in case there was one around.. No dice. But there could have been one with a burrow down near the roots of that mesquite, but I'd have had to clear a path with a chainsaw to get to it..
thats alot of work for a "maybe." lol