• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can someone identify this species?

Millz4444

So I bought a grammostola porteri at a reptile expo,(which was only my 4th tarantula ever) and surprised got two free tarantula slings. 1 was a grammostola pulchripes, and 1 of them doesn't have a species name on it so I need some help. I know the photo is bad, but that was the best one I could get, and I don't want to bother the spiderling, but I hope someone can figure it out. I will try my very best to keep it alive, but I am a little worried. I have been feeding it fruit flies and giving it a few drops of water daily. My guess was that it was a new world terrestrial species but if someone can tell me the exact species that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Millz4444

So I bought a grammostola porteri at a reptile expo,(which was only my 4th tarantula ever) and surprised got two free tarantula slings. 1 was a grammostola pulchripes, and 1 of them doesn't have a species name on it so I need some help. I know the photo is bad, but that was the best one I could get, and I don't want to bother the spiderling, but I hope someone can figure it out. I will try my very best to keep it alive, but I am a little worried. I have been feeding it fruit flies and giving it a few drops of water daily. My guess was that it was a new world terrestrial species but if someone can tell me the exact species that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20240217_155754908.jpg
    IMG_20240217_155754908.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 24

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You may need to wait until it grows a bit bigger, so many slings look the same to begin with.
It might be an idea to ask the seller, they may be able to give you an idea of what it could be.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My wife & I had a sling given to us 2 or 3 years ago by a friend. We were told it's either this or that. It had been brought at a show & the label had fallen off. But they were 100% sure it was one of two species. As it grew we realised it was certainly not B & looked more like A. So we changed the name label from A or B, to A.

This T was always reclusive & we rarely, if ever, saw it. Then about 2 months ago it popped out to say hello as we fed it. It is now a decent size, certainly too big for the enclosure it was hidden in. And we now know that it has certainly never been either A or B. So it has now been relabelled as Thrixopelma Lagunas.

Sometimes it takes time to get the ID right, so enjoy the ride.

Millz4444

This may help somehow, but here is a better image of the sling. If someone can figure out the genus that would be amazing, but I'm not expecting anyhing.

Attachments

• signal-2024-02-23-15-46-37-170.jpg
    signal-2024-02-23-15-46-37-170.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 10

Latest posts