• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can I overfeed my tarantula?

Graci

3 Year Member
I got an avic avic about 5 days ago that eats a lotttt. It's about an inch right now, so I gave it 5 crickets that were about 3/4 it's size the first day. I figured maybe it wasn't fed recently from where I got it. I presented some food the next day and it ate again and again. Every day it's just ready to take down as much as I give it. I'm just wondering if I can over do it? I've had a rosy before that ate maybe 5 crickets a week max.

jackys

3 Year Member
I just go by abdomen size (1:1 ratio with carapace = probably a healthy size), as I've heard mixed advice on this myself. I've heard both that most T's will stop eating when they're full, and that they can take their "opportunistic eater" instincts to becoming obese. But your T is still pretty small at just an inch, so the more you feed might just make it grow faster... Whether that's good or bad is another story.

Hoping someone with more experience chimes in to give you a better answer.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
Don't feed it as much as it will take.

I remember your spiders a sling. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Cut down feedings to a few times a week at most.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Stupid noob question but our curly hair is about 5 molts into its lifespan and we only feed it one home raised, gut loaded adult female roach once a week at this point. Is that too little?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@octanejunkie if that roach is about the size of the spider's abdomen, then that is a good amount. and if she looks nice and plump u r probably all good!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@octanejunkie if that roach is about the size of the spider's abdomen, then that is a good amount. and if she looks nice and plump u r probably all good!
Cool, thanks. I would rather underfeed than overfeed, but yes, the roach is about the same length as the spider's abdomen, just not as fat!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think the only problem with having a really fat tarantula is that they would probably have trouble molting.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We've not had any molt-related issues with this T

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard that excessive weight makes them more vulnerable if they fall off of something.

More food and a slightly higher temp will get them out of the fragile sling stage however.

Latest posts